ADA Aqua Soil

Nikita

Hi!

Very soon I plan on getting a fish tank once again after about 3 yrs of not having them and right off the bat I want to try a planted tank once again (many failures in the past). Now, for soil I am wanting to use ADA Aqua Soil because of how great many say it is and how they have key plant nutrients, unlike other substrates. Now my questions are:

1) Has any plant people on here experienced this substrate? How much do you like it? Is it worth getting it?

2) They say once you get it, it will leach out some ammonia for the first few weeks. That being said, will this ammonia be enough to cycle the tank all the way to the end? How long will the ammonia stay and should I worry about it?

3) Are there any Ferts that I have to add since it has "key plant nutrients"?

4) How messy is it? Do I have to rinse it?

Thank you all for your feedback in advance xoxo

-Nik

Axelrodi202

I use it for my 10 gallon high tech in combination w/ ADA Power Sand. It's great stuff. It does leech ammonia at first but that's meant to help cycle the tank. Whether or not you dose additional ferts or not depends on the type of plants and type of tank you want. It's not messy if you add water slowly and carefully, and you definitely shouldn't rinse it.

What light do you have and what type of plants are you looking to keep? Will you be using CO2?

Nikita

Thank you for the info! That clears things up now

I'm not sure of the lighting yet. I plan on getting a Fluval Spec V and I'm still unsure if I am wanting to use the stock lighting or not. Once I know if the stock lighting is good enough I'll decide on plants.

Okay the C02 is another thing. I tried Excel in the past but for some reason I still continued having problems. DIY C02 gave me problems as well. Never tried pressurized because it seemed so complicated. What do you think I should do/use?

-Nik

juscallmej

Whether or not you need CO2 really depends on how strong your lighting is. I'm not sure of the stock lights of the fluval or if you may need to upgrade lights. the type of plants you get will also determine what you need.
basically if you have strong light as well as good substrate/nutrients/ferts which you have, there will be a lot of plant growth which would need CO2 to help provide balance or else you may have algae problems.

Nikita

Is pressurized C02 hard to do? Like it just seems like there are so many calculation and such just to keep it up and what not.

-Nik

Axelrodi202

Stock lights on most fluval tanks are pretty weak and are best suited for a low light tank. Dosing would probably be minimal if done at all. CO2 would help but wouldn't be necessary.

Once you can get past the initial startup cost pressurized CO2 is pretty easy to maintain and low cost (about $20 for a refill; frequency depends on tank size). With such a small tank you could go with a paintball system, but I recommend just using a regular pressurized system so you can use it on any larger tanks you may decide to start up in the future.

Nikita

Okay thank you!

I'd probably switch the lighting with some brighter LEDs or clamp on lamp.

-Nik

iLLusion

Okay thank you!

I'd probably switch the lighting with some brighter LEDs or clamp on lamp.

-Nik

pressurized is really easy to do, all you need to make sure you are putting the right amount in your tank, is simple as buying a drop checker (the color tells you if you have to much or to little or in the middle). a 5lb canister off amazon is 60 bucks, and a cheap regulator would be aquatek (around 80, I use these and they are perfect) and you would also need a diffuser which is cheap unless you want the higher tech ones like GLA atomic+ ( I also have this). Just make sure you have a local wielding supply to refill your co2 and its reasonably priced (5lb for me is 10 bucks) with all of this its just a matter of a balance of co2, ferts, and lighting. if something is not balanced you will have algae. and since you have a 5 gallon a 5lb will last you a very long time, also if you ever get another tank you can buy a splitter ( I think that's what they are called) and you can have another tank on the co2

Nikita

Thank you so much for the information iLLusion. I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but what does a regulator do? How would you go about keeping all of this balanced?

-Nik

iLLusion

Thank you so much for the information iLLusion. I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but what does a regulator do? How would you go about keeping all of this balanced?

-Nik

take a look at this thread, this is what I came across when I started my tank, with it I was able to understand how pressurized co2 works, yea it costs a bit to get going but like Axelrodi202 said once you get past the initial cost, depending on your supplier and how big a canister you get it can be really cheap.

Proper lighting and CO2 injection are essential for growing healthy aquatic plants and creating a beautiful aquatic plant layout. It is important to keep these elements in balance in order to grow multiple types of aquatic plants abundantly, and grow every one of them well, as is accomplished in the Nature Aquarium. Light and CO2 are to aquatic plants as wheels are to a bicycle—if one is missing, things do not work properly. Although some people keep the lighting intentionally dI'm to avoid the emergence of algae, this is not a desirable condition for aquatic plants. Aquatic plants grow healthy when an adequate amount of light is provided and the proportionate amount of CO2 is injected. In turn, the emergence of algae is suppressed as well.

Aquatic plants grow healthy only when they can photosynthesize sufficiently. Although some aquatic plants appear to photosynthesize vigorously while others do not, they all photosynthesize to varying degrees. And these are catagorized into low-med-high lights, high lights are usually plants that are red like nesea sp, and carpeting plants like glosso dwarf hairgrass and HC etc.

Nikita

Thank you for the link and explanation! I really appreciate it.

I look forward into getting planted tanks. If I have anymore questions I'll ask

-Nik

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MaximumRide14
  • JALB
  • pH
Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses
Replies