Ada Amazonia

  • Thread starter

Aquaboy

Valued Member
Messages
155
Reaction score
54
Points
38
After almost a year I finally figured out why my first fish tank had ammonia in it even though it only had driftwood, rocks, plants, and soil. I think this is also pretty important information.

"ADA - Aqua Soil ''Amazonia''
ADA substrates are designed to release ammonia as an aid in cycling new filter media. This is in effect "fishless cycling" and is of great benefit to livestock when they are eventually added to the tank. Because of this livestock should not be added for at least three weeks and we reccomend that a large 70% water change be carried out weekly during this period. Planting will also be easier at this point as plants too do not appreciate high ammonia levels"
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,052
Reaction score
9,022
Points
608
Experience
2 years
I'm sorry you didn't know this before adding it to your tank! There are warnings online for this too.
 

Namtab

Well Known Member
Messages
675
Reaction score
450
Points
98
Experience
2 years
Aquaboy said:
Planting will also be easier at this point as plants too do not appreciate high ammonia levels"
Wait, I thought plants actually preferred ammonia over nitrates. I know many people plant their tanks before fishless cycling to give their plants benefit of this.
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,052
Reaction score
9,022
Points
608
Experience
2 years
They do, but I'm guessing higher levels can be dangerous for them. ADA puts out a lot of ammonia, from what I've heard.
 

Namtab

Well Known Member
Messages
675
Reaction score
450
Points
98
Experience
2 years
TexasDomer said:
They do, but I'm guessing higher levels can be dangerous for them. ADA puts out a lot of ammonia, from what I've heard.
Interesting, will have to test the amount of ammonia it puts out once I get my 5 gallon high tech shrimp tank set up.
 

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,381
Reaction score
5,893
Points
598
Experience
5 to 10 years
Please say if this is a stupid idea. Could you put the ADA soil in a bucket of tank water for a few weeks and do some water changes (maybe 50% twice a week) until it stopped leaching ammonia then put it into an already established tank? Or would that still be bad for the tank?
 

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Messages
1,476
Reaction score
762
Points
133
Experience
More than 10 years
BottomDweller said:
Please say if this is a stupid idea. Could you put the ADA soil in a bucket of tank water for a few weeks and do some water changes (maybe 50% twice a week) until it stopped leaching ammonia then put it into an already established tank? Or would that still be bad for the tank?
This is literally what I do in a storage tote. I haven't had an issue. I just test until it's safe.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom