Ada Amazonia

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Aquaboy, Apr 11, 2017.

1. AquaboyValued MemberMember

After almost a year I finally figured out why my first fish tank had ammonia in it even though it only had driftwood, rocks, plants, and soil. I think this is also pretty important information.

"ADA - Aqua Soil ''Amazonia''
    ADA substrates are designed to release ammonia as an aid in cycling new filter media. This is in effect "fishless cycling" and is of great benefit to livestock when they are eventually added to the tank. Because of this livestock should not be added for at least three weeks and we reccomend that a large 70% water change be carried out weekly during this period. Planting will also be easier at this point as plants too do not appreciate high ammonia levels"

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I'm sorry you didn't know this before adding it to your tank! There are warnings online for this too.

3. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

Wait, I thought plants actually preferred ammonia over nitrates. I know many people plant their tanks before fishless cycling to give their plants benefit of this.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

They do, but I'm guessing higher levels can be dangerous for them. ADA puts out a lot of ammonia, from what I've heard.

5. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

Interesting, will have to test the amount of ammonia it puts out once I get my 5 gallon high tech shrimp tank set up.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Please say if this is a stupid idea. Could you put the ADA soil in a bucket of tank water for a few weeks and do some water changes (maybe 50% twice a week) until it stopped leaching ammonia then put it into an already established tank? Or would that still be bad for the tank?

7. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

This is literally what I do in a storage tote. I haven't had an issue. I just test until it's safe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice