actually plant How Do I

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by gouramiguy88, Dec 30, 2009.

1. g

gouramiguy88 Valued Member Member

can someone please help me on how to actually plant the plants once you get them?

Do you have to plant them in a tank that isnt already filled? ( with water )

thanks all

2. coffeebean

coffeebean Well Known Member Member

just stick em in the substrate!

if you are starting a new tank and want to heavily plant and aquascape then you can do it partially filled, but there is no issue with doing it in a full tank except getting a wet arm.

when you get the plant, sometimes they are in pots or the roots are wrapped in a foam or spongy material. remove the pot, sometimes you need to snip it if the roots have grown into it, and remove as much of the foam as possible without damaging the roots. use sharp scissors, i like using nail scissors that i use only for the tank, to cut any brown, dying or rotting root parts. this trim will encourage new root growth.

a plant with a rhizome does not get fully planted under the substrate. you want to either tie it to a rock, wood, or decoration or put *just* enough substrate over part of it to weigh it down. regular rooting plants, just make a hole, stick it in and put the gravel back around it.

3. OP
    OP
    g

gouramiguy88 Valued Member Member

thanks so much.

I didnt really mind, i was just in the dark a little, every video i could find was when the tank was empty.

Yeah i know plants like java fern and anubias are tied to rocks or wood.

thanks alot

4. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

What kind of plant you have will determine if it gets planted in the substrate or if it gets wieghted or tied down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice