Active / Responsive fish for a 10 gallon

1. Zarich Member Member

What is a good, active and semi responsive fish for a 10 gallon tank. Originally was going to house a beta, but I have heard they just sit there and dont move much.

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My bettas are crazy, so I dunno who you've been talking to :p

Every time I move, my boys are all over the front of the tank, doing their little happy fishy dances, and begging for food X3

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

My bettas are active. If bettas are in a tank to small they won't swim, there is nowhere to swim. A 10gal would be great though, plenty of room.

4. Zarich Member Member

If I put the beta in the tank. Is there anything else I could house with it? Something different, like shrimps, or frogs, or algea eaters.

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sure! Check out my sig (but disregard the 10 and 2.5 gallon stockings! Those are temporary LOL).

The 10 gallon *used* to have:

1 male betta
    5 Endlers
    5 Least Killifish
    1 Clown Pleco
    Red Cherry Shrimp

And my 5.5 gallon is correct (1 male betta, ADFs, etc).

Bettas can make great community fish give the tank is stocked correctly. And the definition of "correctly" is rather relative, depending on the tank size, the fish you chose, and the individual betta.

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Betta, neons
    Betta, snails of variety
    Betta, plants, shrimp
    Betta, microrasbora

No algae eaters except for nerite snails and shrimp will fit in a 10gal.
    Bettas are HORRIBLY misunderstood. They are normally active and happy fish when kept right. Patrolling their territories constantly and flaring around, building bubble nests and interacting with the other tank inhabitants and anything on the out side of the tank. I love my bettas, their always up and swimming and showing off.

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Make sure you care for a betta properly. They needs a heater! Bettas with shorter fins can swim better. If you find a plakat, they are a lot of fun :D

This is my Half Moon Plakat, Odin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_3d137HeAg he's far from dull.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I tried Neons, and it did not end well for them. Then again, it was with a beastly King Betta. But still. lol

I have to disagree a teeny bit with your algae eater comment. IF, and ONLY if, you are willing to keep up with water changes, and keep an eye on everything, Clown Plecos stay small enough to be comfortably housed in a 10 gallon. Not that I wouldn't rather see them in something slightly larger, but my guy is not quite full grown, and there is a filter rated for 30 gallons on that tank, so that also helps, and he will be moved to a larger tank in the near future. Ottos are also good, and stay small. They are just super picky about water parameters. If one is will to keep up on tank maintenance, I see nothing wrong with either of these in a 10 gallon. :) But-- To each their own, I suppose :)

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You could always divide the 10 gallon tank and put two Bettas in there. Here's a link to a thread in the Betta forum that explains how to do it: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/46452-dividing-tank-bettas-fun-low-cost.html

I recently divided one of those 6.6 gallon bookshelf tanks that Petco sells, and I was forced to silicon the divider in place. Due to it being a bowfront the divider just wouldn't stay in place. So you may or may not need to silicon it in.

Additionally, I don't recommend putting other fish in a tank with a betta. You never know the temperment of the betta and more times than not if the betta isn't attacking the other fish, the other fish just won't stop nipping the bettas fins.

10. Zarich Member Member

I am intrigued by the shrimp idea. How would that work or would the beta have shrimp for dinner.

11. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Depends on the betta. Some will tolerate them others would have shrimp snacks. The only tank mates my bettas have ever tolerated were nerite snails.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I find lots of plants and some driftwood help to keep my shrimp alive :)

13. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I HAD a Betta(Airey) in my 10 gallon with my female guppy and ghost shrimp until Sapphires(guppy) decided she wanted to be a brat and corner him in one of the hide outs mind you she is due any day with babies so I blame pregnancy hormones lol cuz she was fine until a week ago and all the sudden went bratty. So I moved him to his own tank and he is still happy and I think glad he is away from crazy preggo lady lol. Than again he is so laid back I think he does not know he is a Betta lol I can hand feed him,pet him, and all he does is either swim like there is no care in the world or is lazy and lays in his hammock until he feels like swimming again.

14. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

well look for a pretty active betta. mine sits around all day. he's lazy.

15. cameronpalte Member Member

I recommend having the following.

1(Beta Fish)
    3(Cherry Red Shrimp)
    3(Ghost Shrimp)

Or you could also try to have 2 beta fish, but there is a pretty good chance they'll fight.

16. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I find Ghost Shrimp to be *too* opportunistic when it comes to housing them with long finned bettas. Many, including myself, have had Ghost Shrimp eat a bettas fins while it slept. Cherry Shrimp seem to be much less aggressive. Besides that, they're cuter ;D

17. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Honey or sparkling gouramis? I love honey gouramis, they stay small and peaceful which means they can be housed with many kinds of fish. The sparkling gouramis are even smaller but they have really nice colours and a few can be housed in the same tank. Then a school of small fish such as neon tetras, ember tetras, celestial pearl danios will make the tank look more interesting. You can do something like 1 honey gourami with 6 neon tetras, some shrimp and snails can be added too if you like.

18. camel89 Initiate Member

I would definitely not try adding two bettas. It's guaranteed they will fight. I think some ghost shrimp and snails would be a good idea. Maybe a few white clouds too.

19. Zarich Member Member

I think I am just going to start with a single Betta.
    Tank is up and running at 78 degrees.
    I am not sure about cycling.
    I took this tank from another guy, removed the gravel, ran it under hot tap water, washed the inside of the tank, but did not clean off any of the decorations and put my live plant from another aquarium in there.
    Suggestions on cycling?

20. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

TSS tetra safe start will help. I would cycle, trust me it makes life so easy. As for gourami, yeah, the honey and sparklers may be peaceful but the betta isn't.