Activated Carbon?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Landozer18, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

2. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

This should answer your question :)

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It removes stuff from the water that many of us don't care about removing, it removes odor from the tank - though if your tank smells you've got other problems, and if left in the tank long enough, it will house beneficial bacteria.

I think switching to biomax is a fantastic idea.

4. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

Thanks too both of you.
    I still kinda want to use it for the chlorine.

5. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

You're welcome :)

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

A good water conditioner takes care of chlorine and chloramine.

Whatever you do, get that ammonia stuff out of there and put some biomedia in.

7. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

At the store now and no biomax only zeo carb

8. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I have always had carbon in all my filters to be honest. I didn't activley choose to have it, my filter pads just came with it. The only good thing to come of it is that my tank is scentless. Not really much gain...... I ended up FINALLY removing it from the pads a few days ago because it removes medicine from the water and i needed to dose prazi.

9. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I use it on and off in my tanks. Ime it adds a kind of "sparkly clean" look to your water. I rarely change it out in a month though. So I guess I kind of use it inconsistently, I've never had an issue with odor, normally I can only smell the "cycled tank" smell if I put my nose right on the water.

10. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

What is the 'ammonia remover' you mentioned? Remember you need some biological media for housing beneficial bacteria to remove ammonia.
    I have two cannisters on my 300L/80G community. Both have half their volume (top half) filled with ceramic rings from SERA and Eheim's substrat Pro (In the bottom I have a clear section, Eheim MechPro and a sponge). Since applying this filtration setup I haven't had any pollution issues, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, persistently.
    If you want to use active carbon (ac), do so. Everyone will agree it is good for clearing your water a little more. Wheather you should use it systematically or permanently is another more controversial issue! But for a period of some weeks you can comfortably change a filterpad from the end section of the cannister for a bag of ac. Just make sure the bag is as wide as the interior of the cannister or the water will take a shortcut around the ac-bag and not go through it!

11. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

This is such an imo thing lol!

12. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Lol, thats because it is all about preference. Carbon will not harm your tank and there is no harm in having it there, however, you just have to remove it when you medicate. It removes a lot of chemicals and such from the water as well as odor and can clear up cloudyness in a jiffy but really these are things that need to be addressed, not just removed via carbon. I would advice to have some on hand though if you need to remove medicine from tank water quickly.

13. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

I bought and started changing my tanks to the biomax. I think I'll keep some activated carbon around just in case. :) thanks all for the comments and such.

14. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

My two cents on activated carbon: I'm a firm believer that every freshwater aquarium should use it. Granted it is a personal choice and many members only use it at certain times, if they use it all. I respect that and it's their decision.

I use it around the clock in all of my tanks, changing it out every 3 weeks. I don't feel that carbon masks any problems but removes them as long as you change it out periodically. I change mine every 3 weeks for fresh. It absorbs minerals and organic substances, helps to keep your water clear, eliminates foul odors. It will also remove medications and discoloration in the water (caused by driftwood for an example). If you're running more than 1 filter on a tank, the carbon does not have to go into every filter only 1. I have 4 filters on my 265g and I only use it in 1 of them. The other filters you can stuff full of good bio media. (sponges, ceramic cubes and tubes, bio balls).

I've stopped saying that the Activated Carbon (AC) leaches what it has collected back into the tank. There are people on both sides of the fence here. Instead I think it's more accurate to say the the AC looses it effectiveness after 3 to 4 weeks and it should be removed and replaced.

If your tank smells foul then I highly recommend adding it to your filter immediately. A water change would probably be a good idea too.

Ken:animal0028:

My tanks are crystal clear! :happy0064:

15. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

Thank you Ken,

I have two filters on my 55g both aquaclear50. Im trying both with the foam, ammonia remover and biomax. If I see my water clarity change I will switch my one filter to activated carbon from biomax. Thanks for the idea. I don't know what to do with my smaller tanks with one filter. Any ideas?

16. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Ammonia remover ought to be phased out of your filter now that you have some biomax in there. Make sure the ammonia remover is on top of the biomax in the meantime. Putting the biomax on top of the ammonia remover will inhibit the bacteria from properly colonizing the biomax.

17. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

Why should Ammonia remover be phased out with the addition to Biomax? Also on the biomax box it says it should be placed ontop then on the ammonia remover box it recommends to be placed in the middle. Why do you say otherwise? Now let's say I stop using the ammonia remover do I use the activated carbon?

18. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

the bio max job is to collect BB/beneficial bacteria. and BB lives/eats ammonia and nitrite. if you have something inhibiting the ammonia your BB wont grow as well. not to mention if your tank is cycled you dont need the ammonia remover any more, the bio max will do it.

19. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Exactly - the biomax houses the beneficial bacteria. The bacteria consumes ammonia. If the ammonia remover is absorbing the ammonia, then it is not feeding the bacteria. The reason I said to put the biomax in the middle is so that it can be in contact with the sponge, which has a bacteria colony on it. The bacteria will colonize the biomax faster if it's in contact with it. In the middle, the bacteria colony with grow leaving less and less ammonia getting through to the ammonia remover, ultimately negating the need for it. Putting the ammonia remover under the biomax will inhibit bacteria growth.

Your bacteria colony is probably very weak - your cycle is most likely dependent on the use of the ammonia remover, so I would not just get rid of it. Placing it on top will allow it to still do it's job, while allowing the bacteria to grow until the ammonia remover is no longer needed.

20. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

For environmental (and budgetary!) reasons I took carbon out of my tanks. If you do decide to use it you have to change it every 2 - 3 weeks, or else it will start leaching what it took out of your water back into it.

If you're concerned about the environment, activated carbon that has to be changed twice a month is a really detrimental product in terms of how it's made & where it usually comes from.

Good luck! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice