Activated Carbon - Pre-packaged Or Bulk?

mossman

Well Known
Looks like it's much more cost effective to purchase activated carbon in bulk and bag it yourself than buying the pre-packaged carbon. Any brands better than others? What are some good bags to use? This is for a Fluval C2 HOB. Package of three is only $8.99, so dirt cheap, but if I'm replacing the carbon every 2 to 4 weeks as Fluval suggests (of course they do), then it could get pricey.

WTFish?

Well Known
I don’t use the carbon with my fluval, just set it aside in case I ever need it. But yeah, I assume it’s cheaper to bag it yourself.

WTFish?

Well Known
mossman said:
Do you use Purigen or something? How do you remove impurities and odors from your tank? Mine is a 20 long lightly planted tank (meaning a combination of six small Anubias and Amazon Sword).
No I just have the ceramic rings and the poly pad it came with and where the carbon goes I put a dish scrubber pad and a small piece of my old poly fill from previous filter. It’s a 10g, moderately planted, crystal clear. I use flourish once a week so carbon would just eliminate it.

E150GT

I have some on hand that I bought from Walmart. I just bag it up in pantyhose. Don’t use it that often. The tank shouldn’t smell or have too many impurities. At least mine don’t. I’m currently running carbon on my 10 gal shrimp tank that was stained with drift wood tannins.

OP
mossman

mossman

Well Known
I went ahead and removed the carbon from my filter over the weekend and put a piece of filter floss (polyfill) in its place. Rather than doubling up on the mechanical filtration, should I instead fill the carbon basket with c-nodes instead? The first stage of my filter has a coarse sponge with about 1/8" of filter floss already built in, so I'm thinking more bio media would be better than another 1/2" of filter floss.

WTFish?

Well Known
mossman said:
I went ahead and removed the carbon from my filter over the weekend and put a piece of filter floss (polyfill) in its place. Rather than doubling up on the mechanical filtration, should I instead fill the carbon basket with c-nodes instead? The first stage of my filter has a coarse sponge with about 1/8" of filter floss already built in, so I'm thinking more bio media would be better than another 1/2" of filter floss.
I have some poly fill along with a plastic dish scrubber in place of the carbon (same filter as you) but I’m sure you can use more c nodes if you wanted to.

Edit, sorry I didn’t realize I already stated above what I use, didn’t mean to make a repeat. Lol.

OP
mossman

mossman

Well Known
It's okay! Nothing wrong with reiterating There's actually space to put a sheet of the polyfill and pack some of the small c-nodes in there. I guess I'm not sure if I even need the extra polyfill in there. My water is pretty clear, other than these pesky micro bubbles. I'm hoping they will clear up once I resolve the impeller issue on my filter (Fluval/Hagen is sending me some lube). Are you experiencing vibrations/noise with your Fluval C2 impeller?

WTFish?

Well Known
mossman said:
It's okay! Nothing wrong with reiterating There's actually space to put a sheet of the polyfill and pack some of the small c-nodes in there. I guess I'm not sure if I even need the extra polyfill in there. My water is pretty clear, other than these pesky micro bubbles. I'm hoping they will clear up once I resolve the impeller issue on my filter (Fluval/Hagen is sending me some lube). Are you experiencing vibrations/noise with your Fluval C2 impeller?
No mine is great so far, only had it less than a month though...hope it works out for ya!

OP
mossman

mossman

Well Known
Hopefully the lube takes care of the issue. It's apparently pretty common. You must have gotten a good one.

BTW, I just ordered a container of Seachem Matrix Bio Media, and plan on stuffing a bag of it inside the carbon tray along with the filter floss.

New Threads