X
Cookie Policy

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website! Learn More

Reject (Leave Website)

Activated Carbon And Filters.. I've Gotta Be Missing Something. Question

1. m

maxismatched Initiate Member

Hi all. Just a quick clarification?

I put some IAL Indian Almond Leaves, in my tank and everyone recommends you take out any activated carbon when adding these because they would remove the tannins.

So I know the black pebble looking things that you can put in media bags are activated carbon but, do basic regular old filters have activated carbon in them? If not, why are they black inside and what is actually filtering my tank?

I also have a black prefilter sponge..thing. Would that have activated carbon in it?

Thank you all. :)

2. mattgirl Well Known Member Member

Yes, most replaceable filters do have activated carbon in them. I don't think the black sponge would have carbon though.

3. WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Yes, you can tear a slit and dump the carbon if needed, that’s what I do.

4. m

maxismatched Initiate Member

Thank you both for your replies! I knew it! This makes so much more sense now! I will be doing that method, WTFish, I hope I get some brown water this way! :)

5. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

That is another reason that the filter manufacturers say to replace the filter pad every 2-4 weeks, since it has carbon in it that will become ineffective over time.

Share Page: