Acrylic vrs Glass for 180g FOWLR?

1. 1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I'm upgrading my tired old 150g glass SW tank for a newer 180g tank to replace it. I've located an acrylic tank at a great price but having second thoughts. I'm due to pick this tank up this week but may bail out of it due to the research I've done. The fish will include a Dog Faced Puffer and a Humu Picasso Trigger which (according to some reading I've done) can scratch acrylic with their teeth. I'm not finding too much info as to whether this is true or not. I can have a heavier glass tank with no problem in regards to the weight but it really comes down to price. If I do go with a glass tank my LFS has one in stock and they would drill it for me too. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi, I wanted acrylic roadrunner but the fact that a grain of sand could really mess it up has turned me off. I have a 29 gallon seaclear (I believe that is the brand) at work and it is acrylic but when it was new-like the first water change, I used my algae scrapper and a sand particle got between it and the pad! I ended up with a scratch that runs several inches in the viewing pane.
    I think that acrylic would be great-lite and all that but I just cant see doing it after that experience.
    More experienced saltwater aquarist may have a different opinion!
    I want to see pics! I love both those fish! The lfs that I sometimes use as the dogfaced puffer and it is absolutely gorgeous!

3. OP
    OP
    1971roadrunner

Pic's are guaranteed when, but I'm really starting to think glass. I'm researching it more now........either tank will be 72x24x24 and the acrylic one I located is made by Clear View.

4. krazyone2006

krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

I'd say go glass. I have had a few smaller acrylic tanks and they scratch way to easy for me and because of that I will never have another acrylic tank. GFL(glass for life) LoL

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd definitely go with glass, acrylic scratches so easily I wouldn't have one again

6. OP
    OP
    1971roadrunner

I kinda expected this response and thank you. Glass it is! The reading I've done also convinced me in that unless I'm setting up some crazy fancy reef show tank, it's really not worth the extra worry and extreme care acrylic requires (though they are beautiful). I was never able to find enough evidence of some claims regarding the above fish mentioned scratching acrylic with their teeth and If anyone should wish to chime in on this I'm still curious. I just have to make some final determinations on how/where to have it drilled then get it in place. Yes Claire I'll post pic's - promise :)!