Acrylic tanks

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
Hello! If this post should be in equipment, I apologize! So basically, I have a glass tank, and also a SeaClear flatback hex. I LOVE the look of acrylic, and hope to someday soon get a larger acrylic tank. The thing is, I find the seamless look so gorgeous, and I think it’s because of the shape of the flatback hex. Does anybody have experience with rectangular acrylics, and are they as cool (bc I think it’s so cool how acrylic can bend and create such a unique look). Do the acrylic look as different from glass as a flat back hex?
88652B42-32DD-493F-AB2B-52D88C645DA8.jpeg
D15F9F5F-6B7C-49D9-8571-D71B006206A1.jpeg
019D9836-D210-47C7-BDF6-79AC5034D940.jpeg
8F759411-9272-4336-92D7-1E88716F8B4D.jpeg
FE6B1D87-606B-46FD-AF66-52EFE9B26130.jpeg

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know acrylic is clearer than glass but from my experience acrylic scratches super easily, you can't use any metal tools for aquascaping as that will scratch it pretty bad, also if your gravel is super jagged/rough like mine was it will scratch it to **** after a few times gravel vacuuming.

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
Willj626 said:
I know acrylic is clearer than glass but from my experience acrylic scratches super easily, you can't use any metal tools for aquascaping as that will scratch it pretty bad, also if your gravel is super jagged/rough like mine was it will scratch it to **** after a few times gravel vacuuming.
Ha Ha Ha Ha I am SUCH a psycho about my acrylic bc of fear of scratches. I’ve chilled a little when cleaning bc it’s tough not to, but I’m crazy about people looking at it. When it was new I saw a fingerprint on it (on Thanksgiving!) and I tried to match it up with one of the 10 guests. They laughed until they realized I was serious. It’s way more stressful and TOUGH to net fish bc you can’t get them between the net and walls. BUT it’s interesting bc I’ve found it much easier to polish than my 40 glass. Bc it takes a quick rub and the glass takes some elbow grease.

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
KribensisLover1 said:
Ha Ha Ha Ha I am SUCH a psycho about my acrylic bc of fear of scratches. I’ve chilled a little when cleaning bc it’s tough not to, but I’m crazy about people looking at it. When it was new I saw a fingerprint on it (on Thanksgiving!) and I tried to match it up with one of the 10 guests. They laughed until they realized I was serious. It’s way more stressful and TOUGH to net fish bc you can’t get them between the net and walls. BUT it’s interesting bc I’ve found it much easier to polish than my 40 glass. Bc it takes a quick rub and the glass takes some elbow grease.
Haha, I was never worried about scratches till I scratched it, then I got a lil paranoid. I'm used to working with soft glass from working at a winery polishing glasses in the tasting room so I adjusted quick (lipstick would permanently stain the imported glasses they were so soft and thin).

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had a 50 gallon rectangular acrylic. It was pretty dope. With the two front seams being curved and the light weight of it... wish I still had it!

tuggerlake26

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use all acrylic, I love the curved look. I only have rectangular acrylic tanks, so the front sides are bent and then the back sides are normal and squared off. I have a 36 gallon bowfront coming soon and I can't wait for that one.

I think using acrylic for so long, I'm used to be extra careful, and so far (fingers crossed), haven't had any scratches.

I did have one tank a few years ago spring a leak at the bottom seam (maybe), but I think I overreacted to a filter leak and quickly took the tank down without investigating too much. I woke up to a 1/4 empty tank and started throwing fish into buckets without even putting my glasses on! However, that is something I keep in mind with them.

Your tank looks incredible! I have a koi angelfish and love her!

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
tuggerlake26 said:
I use all acrylic, I love the curved look. I only have rectangular acrylic tanks, so the front sides are bent and then the back sides are normal and squared off. I have a 36 gallon bowfront coming soon and I can't wait for that one.

I think using acrylic for so long, I'm used to be extra careful, and so far (fingers crossed), haven't had any scratches.

I did have one tank a few years ago spring a leak at the bottom seam (maybe), but I think I overreacted to a filter leak and quickly took the tank down without investigating too much. I woke up to a 1/4 empty tank and started throwing fish into buckets without even putting my glasses on! However, that is something I keep in mind with them.

Your tank looks incredible! I have a koi angelfish and love her!
Thank you! PLEASE PLEASE post a pic of your bow front when it arrives. PLS. lol. Also what brand do you swear by!

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have had two acrylic tanks, a 30 show and a 50 gallon, both seaclear brand. I would give almost anything to have them back. They are the most beautiful tanks. People don't realize how green glass makes everything until they've had acrylic or low-iron glass. Even with a reef tank in one I didn't have any real problems with scratches. Yeah it was easy to get abrasions at the substrate, but it just takes care, like anything else. Yours is really stunning.

Attachments

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
Magicpenny75 said:
I have had two acrylic tanks, a 30 show and a 50 gallon, both seaclear brand. I would give almost anything to have them back. They are the most beautiful tanks. People don't realize how green glass makes everything until they've had acrylic or low-iron glass. Even with a reef tank in one I didn't have any real problems with scratches. Yeah it was easy to get abrasions at the substrate, but it just takes care, like anything else. Yours is really stunning.
Yours, as well! I’m happy to see the rectangulars are just as cool. TY! And yes. SeaClear. The only issues I have arw 1.) the AWFUL light it comes with. Came broken, but also I would have had to lift the entire top off for feeding. But that’s an easy fix. 2.) I keep the acrylic piece that was supposed to attach to the light fixture on as a lid. And it has bowed and isn’t pretty, and the area that perhaps the light would have ‘held down’ has bowed, as well. So just interested in how everybody feels about different brands. However, at this point, I’m planning for another SeaClear unless I hear crazy rec’s for something else. I wish you could get used acrylic to keep prices down, yet it’s tough with the scratches, so probably not feasible. But I didn’t realize how much of a diff the material makes until I see how my glass looks versus my acrylic. They are at 2 different locations (houses). This pic isn’t the entire tank, my filter is on the side left. The only disappointing issue with acrylic is I’m scared to put my driftwood in there bc I don’t want to dye the acrylic. That’s also paranoia though lol. GLASS (and top is acrylic). I have a tough time getting plants to grow, which IMHO makes any tank gorgeous, so it helps to have a gorgeous tank (like acrylic) bc it helps make the tank look better with fake plants. No it’s not the same as planted of course, yet I do think having a gorgeous tank goes a long way if you can’t have it gorgeous with live plants.
C54BB884-AB93-476B-9F7E-245970D4F28F.jpeg

New Threads