Acrylic tanks and heaters??

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Before I head to the LFS I was hoping that some one can help me with a few questions. IF I do set up the Mini Bow 2.5 acrylic tank I dont know what size heater to get for it? And would a heater melt the acrylic? Also, what size filter is acceptable for that small a tank? I would like one that hangs outside the tank, to leave more room inside for a fish to swim. I know that i can get a small air stone and small pump for aeration, but was worried about the heater issue. It does have a hood w/light as well. Any suggestions that I can take with me to the store today?
thanks a bunch! ~ kate

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have room for a 6" wide filter, you could get . The one thing to make sure of though is that it has a flow control on it. Take a look at the photo in the link above, and on the top of the filter there is a circular hole on the right. That is where the flow control is (I know the 20 has one but I'm not sure about the 10). If it does then it would work fine, and yeah you'd have to turn it way down because this filter is good up to a 10 Gal. But the flow control makes this super easy and then you also have a good filter if you ever want to move it to a larger tank. There are other filters that are rated for smaller tanks like the that might work too, but I've never used one so I can't say if it works well or not. As for the heater, it shouldn't be a problem. Just place it next to the outflow of the filter and it won't build up enough heat next to the acrylic to be a problem. Have fun! (and yes I do stroll around the pet store just for the fun of it : ;D)

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks so much luniyn~ I didnt find any responses by the time I left for the store,, but had to get what I thought would work for the 2.5 tank. I will need to get some smaller decoration for the new betta there, but for now using some silk plants from the 29 g tank.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw you ended up with an in tank filter in another thread which is a good choice considering it is more suited for a 2.5 Gal. Of course you would think that they would make more filters that went outside of small tanks so it wouldn't take up so much of it's already limited room. I went to PetSmart too today to compare some different foods. Of course I had to look around and saw that they actually had dwarf puffers. They were only about 1/2' or smaller and looked so cool. It was all i could do not to buy the 10 Gal tank that was sitting just 5 feet away to set up a little species tank ;D.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Luniyn said:
Saw you ended up with an in tank filter in another thread which is a good choice considering it is more suited for a 2.5 Gal. Of course you would think that they would make more filters that went outside of small tanks so it wouldn't take up so much of it's already limited room. I went to PetSmart too today to compare some different foods. Of course I had to look around and saw that they actually had dwarf puffers. They were only about 1/2' or smaller and looked so cool. It was all i could do not to buy the 10 Gal tank that was sitting just 5 feet away to set up a little species tank ;D.
lol I hear ya! I was looking at the 5 gallon rectangular glass tank for 10 bucks myself and thinking hmm maybe this would be better for miss betta, Precious. I will most likely set up a five g soon for her. Tho for now as small as she is the 2.5 looks like alot of room.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom