Acrylic tank question/Cycling question...

freshwaternoobi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Someone is giving me a 40 gallon tank but I need to transfer it. It currently has fish in it which are 1 Jack Dempsey cichlid and 1 regular African cichlid. I am getting rid of those because I want a community tank but I wanted to know since they have been in their for along time would the tank be considered pre-cycled. I am figuring I would test the water of course to make sure the water is optimal for my blue crayfish but I am guessing it would already be cycled? And I will be selling them if you wonder how I am getting rid of them, I am not cruel! Another question how much approximately does an acrylic fish tank weigh approximately. It would be empty except about 10 lbs of rocks, (to preserve the bacteria) and a couple gallons of water, but I can factor in that weight myself. I was wondering how much the tank itself empty weighs. It is a tall versus long tank with plastic top and light.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As long as you keep the same filter media, you'll be good to go and should have a fully cycled tank. But I'd let it run a few days and test it before adding a cray because I'm assuming they are as sensitive to water parameters as shrimp.

As far as the weight? I'm not sure. Have you tried googling it? That'd be where I'd start.

Oh, and welcome to Fish Lore!!

-Lisa

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and welcome to Fishlore! Testing the water will be the only way to know what the cycle is like in the tank. When you do sell the fish, try not to sell them to the same person unless the person is planning on keeping the fish in separate tanks. New World Cichlids and African Cichlids generally have different water requirements and it is not recommended to keep them together. I would assume that the media would hold some kind of cycle as long as the person you are getting it from didn't recently change out all the media. I can't really give you a range on actual pounds for the weight of the tank, but I can say that acrylic tanks are generally very light weight. My brother had a 29 gallon acrylic when I was around 15 which I was able to lift and move with ease one handed (empty of course). Depending on the bulk it's definitely an easy one man move.

One source states that an acrylic tank weighs about half of what a glass tank of the same size weighs.

Last edited:

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You're welcome! You'll find many, many great and knowledgable folks here more than willing to help you when you need it--trust me, I know from first hand experience!

-Lisa

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to FL!

All of my tanks are acrylic. I'm not sure about the exact weight but I think my 50 gallon was about 40 pounds at most. I was able to lift it and I'm pretty small. My 12 gallon is so light it's like a big plastic box. And the weight of the 5 gallon is practically non-existent.

freshwaternoobi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to FL!

All of my tanks are acrylic. I'm not sure about the exact weight but I think my 50 gallon was about 40 pounds at most. I was able to lift it and I'm pretty small. My 12 gallon is so light it's like a big plastic box. And the weight of the 5 gallon is practically non-existent.
Sounds great, didn't want to risk breaking or dropping it coming up the stairs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom