5 Gallon Tank Acrylic tank for fry - heater, filter, lights?

SingingFish

Good afternoon,
I was given a 5 gallon acrylic tank that I would like to use for some of my guppy fry. (I already have two 10 gallon tanks: one all males, one females plus fry.) I am looking for recommendations for a simple heater, lighting and filter set up. Attached is a picture of the tank as I received it; I have done nothing to it yet. Thank you in advance!

1. Can I use a 50 watt submersible heater on an acrylic tank?

2. Any suggestions for a small light? I know the fry needs light to grow properly.

3. Do I need a constantly running filter? If so, what might work for something that small?
And if I don’t need a filter, would a small bubbler be sufficient for water movement/aeration?

Thank you!

Attachments

• D2BF2E64-2201-432C-84DD-ED43D8E0CDD0.jpeg
    D2BF2E64-2201-432C-84DD-ED43D8E0CDD0.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 14

RedOnion

1. I see no reason why you cannot.

2. Since the tank comes with a lid, I would recommend a submersible light that can be suctioned to the bottom of the lid. I have it in my 5 and 10 gallon tanks and they bright the tank up wonderfully here is what I use for my 5g: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2XTJRV/ref=twister_B07QLS76HV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3. I would say yes you still need a filter regardless of how small. You want their water to be pristine for the fry. I would say a sponge filter would work great for this small tank especially since it is for fry. Or an HOB filter with a sponge covering the intake filter. I can show you pics of that if you want to see how they look like.

Upvote 0

SingingFish

This is massively helpful!! Thank you so much!
I will look for a sponge filter. If you recommend a preferred brand, I’d love to know. Thank you again!!

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

I agree with Marmaa, but the fry tank water does not need to be "pristine," it just needs to be safe. What I mean is, the tank should be cycled before you put the fry in it, and you want less than 40ppm nitrates too. But there is nothing wrong with some algae (which they LOVE to eat) or a bit of mulm.

I would suggest plants galore, and a small sponge filter. Hygger makes a nice quiet air pump, and any small "betta" sponge filter is probably fine, but I would run two, one in each back corner if you want more mechanical filtration.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
75 Gallon Tank LEDs too hot for acrylic?
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Sarasacco
  • Question
Replies
Views