Acrylic Paint

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have used that paint, not for tanks.
Personally, I do NOT suggest painting anything in a fish tank. It'll leech chemicals and the paint may not be water resistant/proof

My Betta Moonstone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fanatic said:
I have used that paint, not for tanks.
Personally, I do NOT suggest painting anything in a fish tank. It'll leech chemicals and the paint may not be water resistant/proof
Okay, thank you.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree. I once painted the outside of my tank (for a background), using black acrylic, and I had to air out the room this was done in because the smell of chemicals was too strong. I cannot imagine it being inside a fish tank. It would also most likely dissolve in water.

sloughdog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Acrylics are aquarium safe but you do have to seal it with an aquarium safe epoxy. If you do some research or check out King of DIY on YouTube, there is a lot of info on painting /making decorations. Be sure to let it air dry a few days/week before using in aquarium.

Personally, I have used krylon fusion spray paint in the past with no issues. I have also used drylok coated with spray paint and then sealed it with epoxy with no issue.

shinbruise

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would definitely avoid from using that inside the tank, as acrylic is a water-based paint. It'd definitely dissolve very quickly, and harm the fish. However, it's totally safe to paint on the outside, which is what I'd recommend.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used:
Krylon Fusion (discontinued by Krylon)
Acrylic Craft paint for 3D backgrounds
Plastidip for PVC weirs and spray bars
Rustoleum Textured paint for 3d backgrounds
Polyurethane spray for 3D backgrounds
2 part epoxy Sherwin Williams black paint

All inside tanks all fish safe all low VOC no issues.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom