1 Gallon Tank Acrylic glue can fill gaps, strong?

newbietetra

Hi,

I have a spare piece of acrylic. So I made it into a betta tank, 18x12x13 cm.

I cut the acrylic with a special tool that scribe a line, and the i snap it into two with my hand.

I glued the pieces together, using a special glue for acrylic. It is very thin, like water.

one of the edges was not cut square enough. So, there is a gap (like about 0.5 mm gap).

I was able to fill the gap with the the glue. But, I wonder if this is really ok to fill gaps like this.

connorlindeman

Tank is wayyy to small for a betta.

ChrissFishes01

I'd probably avoid it. Acrylic glue isn't like silicone - if this were glass and silicone, you could probably just put a bit extra in the gap and go on you way with it being such a small tank. With acrylic glue, I doubt you'll ever be able to get a seal.

And, while I realize this isn't your question... I'd say it's on the small size for a Betta too. This might be a cool shrimp tank, though.

RayClem

Acrylic cement is primarily a solvent that dissolves the surface of the plastic so it can bond. It is not designed to fill gaps. Silicone is primarily a sealant and does not provide a lot of strength.

Consider this gallon tank to be practice. Now try to construct a larger one that will be more suitable to house your betta. Five gallons (around 20 liters) is a far more suitable size and larger is even better.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kanzekatores
Replies
Views
ER9
  • Question
Replies
Views
Salem
Replies