Acrylic Aquariums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziabis

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What is the difference between normal glass and Acrylic aquariums?

Why are they so much more expensive?

Isnt acrylic a plastic?

Thank you
Steve

RPPhoto

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yes, acrylic is a plastic however bonded different and takes more work to get them to seal correctly..

my biggest beef with Acrylic Tanks is that everyone ive seen; they seem to get hot faster and hold heat longer....

good thing about Acrylic though is that it is the best material to do Rimless Tanks out of as it doesnt need the center-brace like glass does

OP
Ziabis

Ziabis

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Centre brace you mean for much larger tanks?
Is the plastic much more Clear, but what the attraction?

RPPhoto

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yah some say with right lights and setups Acrylic seems to them that theyre much clearer ....however i dont see it ... looks the same, to me its all about water quality and how u take care of it that makes the tank nice...

also Acrylic doesnt have the shelf life of a Glass, they seem to stress and crack more often...or atleast thats what ive seen...

yah Center-Brace if u ever look at a larger 55gal tank and u notice it has either a glass brace or plastic brace in the center, its to prevent excessive movement on the front and rear panels from the water pressure preventing the glass breaking.... u can get away without it on some of the newer glass tanks depending on the width of the glass.

OP
Ziabis

Ziabis

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmm good pros and cons.
Seems to me over all that glass is my choice. I guess if I had ton O cash I wouldnt care.
I guess Ill stick with glass. Thank you for the GREAT info everyone...

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Acrylic also scratches much more easily. If you're redecorating and accidentally rub a rock along the acrylic it will leave a big gash, which can fill with algae and look very unsightly.

However, with acrylic you can do tanks without corners, like one I have. The edges are rounded and it gives the tank a very continuous look. There isn't any silicone, which can look lumpy and ugly.

However I'd have to say I prefer glass. I don't know who's saying acrylic looks clearer, glass is crystal clear as long as it's clean.

Orion5

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I second kinezumi's comment about scratching. You even have to avoid using an abrasive algae scrubber pad on it, because sometimes it will leave these little scratches on the acrylic. The glass ones don't have that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 44 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 17.9%

Top Bottom