Acrylic Aquariums

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ziabis, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

What is the difference between normal glass and Acrylic aquariums?

Why are they so much more expensive?

Isnt acrylic a plastic?

Thank you
    Steve

2. RPPhotoNew MemberMember

yes, acrylic is a plastic however bonded different and takes more work to get them to seal correctly..

my biggest beef with Acrylic Tanks is that everyone ive seen; they seem to get hot faster and hold heat longer....

good thing about Acrylic though is that it is the best material to do Rimless Tanks out of as it doesnt need the center-brace like glass does

3. ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

Centre brace you mean for much larger tanks?
    Is the plastic much more Clear, but what the attraction?

4. RPPhotoNew MemberMember

yah some say with right lights and setups Acrylic seems to them that theyre much clearer ....however i dont see it ... looks the same, to me its all about water quality and how u take care of it that makes the tank nice...

also Acrylic doesnt have the shelf life of a Glass, they seem to stress and crack more often...or atleast thats what ive seen...

yah Center-Brace if u ever look at a larger 55gal tank and u notice it has either a glass brace or plastic brace in the center, its to prevent excessive movement on the front and rear panels from the water pressure preventing the glass breaking.... u can get away without it on some of the newer glass tanks depending on the width of the glass.

5. RPPhotoNew MemberMember

addition to my last post...

Check out this Site, its got some good pros and cons vs the 2....

edit: i know one reason that Acrylic is making it big right now is that it is easier to Drill for your custom Bulk Heads for Sumps and Canister Filters... as most Glass Aquariums you buy these days are Tempered Glass

6. ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

Hmm good pros and cons.
    Seems to me over all that glass is my choice. I guess if I had ton O cash I wouldnt care.
    I guess Ill stick with glass. Thank you for the GREAT info everyone...

7. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Acrylic also scratches much more easily. If you're redecorating and accidentally rub a rock along the acrylic it will leave a big gash, which can fill with algae and look very unsightly.

However, with acrylic you can do tanks without corners, like one I have. The edges are rounded and it gives the tank a very continuous look. There isn't any silicone, which can look lumpy and ugly.

However I'd have to say I prefer glass. I don't know who's saying acrylic looks clearer, glass is crystal clear as long as it's clean. :)

8. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I don't know how long it takes but I've also heard of acrylic yellowing over time.

9. fishlover123456New MemberMember

acrylic is more expensive but i think it looks better

10. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

I second kinezumi's comment about scratching. You even have to avoid using an abrasive algae scrubber pad on it, because sometimes it will leave these little scratches on the acrylic. The glass ones don't have that problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice