acrylic aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Kaka23, Mar 30, 2010.

1. K

Kaka23 New Member Member

Would like to know does acrylic aquarium will get stratches in long run? The best is still glass aquarium?

Thanks!

2. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

It depends. Most of it is personal preference and your budget.

Glass is heavier then Acrylic.
    Glass will not scratch as easily as Acrylic. There is scratch removers for acrylic though.
    Acrylic will not "tint" the tank like a standard Glass tank.
    Acrylic is more resistant to breaking and has more "flex".
    Glass has to be sealed with silicone which may leak.
    Acrylic is chemically bonded for a permanent seal when done properly (installation must be done properly too).

Here is a   with more details on comparing, not just scratching.

In the long run, you will get scratches on both. While Glass is harder to scratch, it will happen at some point.

3. OP
    OP
    K

Kaka23 New Member Member

Hi Outlaw,

Thanks for your feedback and the link you gave is just superb. They put it on table form the comparison between glass vs acrylic. Very informative!!

Thanks..

4. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

For me it comes down to tank size. Anything less then 10gals I like acrylic. Anything between 10 and 100 gals I like glass, anything after that I like acrylic for its durable and flexive property's

5. outlaw

The cost is a big factor too. I know the link gave a difference but here is a few examples. Notice the larger the tank gets the bigger the price difference. A 300G Acrylic is only ~$300 less then a 500G. If you are looking for an odd custom design, Acrylic is probably what you are going to be looking for, for now anyways.

Small Acrylic:
    10 Gal. 20 x 10 x 13 $58
    Small Glass:
    10 Tall 16 x 8 x 17 Tall $34

Medium Acrylic:
    29 Gal. 30 x 12½ x 17 (Blk Aq Frame Inc.) $105
    Medium Glass:
    29 tall 30 x 12½ x 17 Tall $54

Large Acrylic:
    100 Long 72 x 18 x 17 (Blk Aq Frame /w Crossbar Inc.) $532
    Large Glass:
    100 Long 72 x 18 x 17 Tall $307

X-Large Acrylic:
    300 Wide 96 x 30 x 24 (Clear Eurobracing) $2063
    X-Large Glass:
    500 - 8 Wide 96 x 48 x 25 Tall $2310

6. OP
    OP
    K

Kaka23 New Member Member

Chris, Outlaw.. thanks for your opinion and information

7. outlaw

No problem, glad to help.

8. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

My husband loves his acrylic tank (26 gallon). I love my glass tanks (30 and 46 gallon).

The only problem he has with the acrylic is that because the tank is one molded piece, the top of the tank offers you much smaller space to fit in decor. He bought this great piece of driftwood that would've looked great in the tank, but couldn't get it through the small opening. Same with other decor he chose. And it wasn't huge decor. It's just the way they mold the tanks.

Know you were asking about scratches, but hope this info comes in handy, too. ;)

9. OP
    OP
    K

Kaka23 New Member Member

LyndaB...hmmm... still counldnt imagine why it is smaller at the top of the acrylic tank...?

But anyhow.. I really appreciate your opinion.

Thanks!

10. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

It's smaller at the top because acrylic tanks are molded. Look at the picture here.  

See how the top of the tank is acrylic material? The only "opening" in the tank is below the black light fixture. And even then, it's 2 separate openings with a cross bar in the middle.

This is the same tank my husband has. A SeaClear 26 gallon bowfront.

11. z

zapco23 New Member Member

Acrylic also insulates better than glass. I love my Tru-View 55G. Crystal clear and yes no tinting.

12. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Mine is an acrylic 30g long. he above-pposter is correct - the top is molded, so there is little area to insert decor. The really big piece don't go in. The sides bulge out quite a bit, to the point that it is noticeable, but that's kind of the point, right, with the flexing. So far, no scratches on mine, but it is inevitable. Overall, I am satisfied. We went with acrylic because we didn't want the little kids to break it. It was waaaayyy more expensive than glass would have been.

13. Hendrix Fish

Hendrix Fish Valued Member Member

I've heard of glass leaking is this true?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice