Acquired New Tank - Now Ich

Bcosenza92

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently acquired a family members tank that passed away. I know the basics, however I’m far from knowledgeable and this tank has been a nightmare for me since it arrived. The fish tank was in bad shape (and overstocked) when I got it and I ended up quarantining three silver dollars with Columnaris that all died. Then the main tank had a bacterial bloom killing three Pictus cats. I went out and bought an air stone and lowered the temp to try to save the others and now all that is left are two young angels and a dwarf gourami. Finally the tank is clearing up, now I’m noticing what appears to be ich on one of the angels. I’m exhausted with this tank! I don’t want to do a chemical treatment if I don’t need to so I’ve been looking into raising the temperature but I want to reach out to those more knowledgeable before messing with the tank again especially since there’s been bacterial issues. Will raising the temperature be safe for the angels and the dwarf gourami? Also since the nitrogen cycle isn’t fully established yet will that pose an issue? I’m afraid of raising the temp in a bacteria bloom and there not being enough oxygen for the remaining fish. It’s been about two weeks since I removed the fish with Columnaris for treatment and I have yet to see signs on the others so is it safe to say they are okay?

Any advice would be great!

Hikari

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I imagine the moving stress may have been the last straw for these poor fish if the tank was in bad shape (I'd imagine their water parameters in it were probably rather poor). Just curious, how thoroughly was the old tank cleaned before being set back up?

As for the ich, honestly, I've never had luck using the heat method, but Rid-Ich did the trick. Since it sounds like you have a quarantine tank, it would probably be easier to treat the fish there while you battle with the main tank. It would be useful for monitoring of further issues as well.

(Also, I feel your pain. My 38g had something nasty sweep through it, forcing me to tear down and start over. Still not done yet, and my poor fish are stuck in the 10g hospital tank for now)

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used to be a big perponant of the heat treatment but it seems to be less effective as of lately. What took 86 now is 88. Honestly meds seem the way to go with ick.

Bcosenza92

Reaction score
I imagine the moving stress may have been the last straw for these poor fish if the tank was in bad shape (I'd imagine their water parameters in it were probably rather poor). Just curious, how thoroughly was the old tank cleaned before being set back up?

As for the ich, honestly, I've never had luck using the heat method, but Rid-Ich did the trick. Since it sounds like you have a quarantine tank, it would probably be easier to treat the fish there while you battle with the main tank. It would be useful for monitoring of further issues as well.

(Also, I feel your pain. My 38g had something nasty sweep through it, forcing me to tear down and start over. Still not done yet, and my poor fish are stuck in the 10g hospital tank for now)
I thought I cleaned it the best I could since I was told they didn’t own a siphon and never vacuumed the gravel. Apparently he did water changes but only used a pitcher to take water out from the top. The gravel looked like mud when I got it.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In that case slow and steady wuns the race. It may take a few weeks to months to get it on track.

Bcosenza92

Reaction score
I used to be a big perponant of the heat treatment but it seems to be less effective as of lately. What took 86 now is 88. Honestly meds seem the way to go with ick.
Are there specific meds that won’t effect the biological filter? The water is still testing a little high in ammonia and nitrites. I’m adding seachem stability daily so I’m afraid of messing things up and harming the fish.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only I'm med I have used was kordone ich plus. Their are many on the market that are similar.

Hikari

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are there specific meds that won’t effect the biological filter? The water is still testing a little high in ammonia and nitrites. I’m adding seachem stability daily so I’m afraid of messing things up and harming the fish.
Rid-Ich won't hurt your biological filter if dosed properly. Only issue is it's hard to find in stores, so I had to order mine online. I got it from Chewy.com since it's cheap 2-day shipping (I don't have Amazon Prime).
https://www.chewy.com/kordon-rid-ich-plus-disease-aquarium/dp/169669 (and it's on sale right now!)

I forgot, it also treats a few other things, so you won't have to worry about fungal infections while using it either. It's good stuff.

Bcosenza92

Reaction score
Perfect thank you! I know my pet store doesn’t have that but it does have the API ich cure. If that’s better I can certainly order it if the fish will be okay till it arrives. Sorry for all the questions I just was devastated with all the deaths so I wanted to reach out first since my attempt at curing the Columnaris was a fail. I currently have an axolotl tank but I haven’t had fish in years and with all these ailments I’ve been feeling defeated.

Hikari

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Perfect thank you! I know my pet store doesn’t have that but it does have the API ich cure. If that’s better I can certainly order it if the fish will be okay till it arrives. Sorry for all the questions I just was devastated with all the deaths so I wanted to reach out first since my attempt at curing the Columnaris was a fail. I currently have an axolotl tank but I haven’t had fish in years and with all these ailments I’ve been feeling defeated.
IIRC, culumnaris is pretty tricky to treat, so don't feel too bad your fish didn't make it. You had a rocky start with this tank from the get-go, so don't be too hard on yourself. At this point, it's just going to be doing what you can to salvage what you can, and that's okay.

As for the Ich, only downsides to API's Ich med is it includes an antibiotic, which probably will harm your bio filtration. Unless the fish are on death's door and don't look like they'll survive the weekend, get the Kordon stuff. It should arrive by Monday, and you can treat them then. Ich, unless it's already an advanced, heavy infection, can be more forgiving for waiting a few days. I had to wait the weekend for mine, and my fish still pulled through, since I caught it early (only a few noticeable spots).

Top Bottom