AcornTheBetta's 29g build! - Page 6

AcornTheBetta

Kathylee said:
They're adorable!!!!
Lol I know right! One of them keeps running into leaves and not being able to figure out how to get by. My spirit animal!

AcornTheBetta

Do you guys think I should remove the Bolivians from the stocking? I feel like the tank is really active without them and I don't mind not having them.

Basil

AcornTheBetta said:
Do you guys think I should remove the Bolivians from the stocking? I feel like the tank is really active without them and I don't mind not having them.
If you like it the way it is, than don’t do the Bolivians. My one 40 breeder is a two species tank with brilliant rasboras and dwarf chain loaches and I really like it.

AcornTheBetta

Basil said:
If you like it the way it is, than don’t do the Bolivians. My one 40 breeder is a two species tank with brilliant rasboras and dwarf chain loaches and I really like it.
Ok. I think I'm going to skip the Bolivians.

AcornTheBetta

I added 4 more corys yesterday and they look great in their school!
Sorry for the bad picture lol:

20210121_180429.jpg

Fishproblem

AcornTheBetta said:

20210121_180429.jpg
I see your green water problem lol.

AcornTheBetta

Ok, so I have another problem: My corys are always hiding and I am not sure why... Any ideas?\
Parameters:
Ammonia and Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~0.5

SnookusFish

They feel more comfortable under structure and cover.

AcornTheBetta

SnookusFish said:
They feel more comfortable under structure and cover.
Is there anyway to coax them into coming out more often?

Sputnik

AcornTheBetta said:
Ok, so I have another problem: My corys are always hiding and I am not sure why... Any ideas?\
Parameters:
How many cories total? ( I lost track!) if you have under 8 you may want to add a few

SnookusFish

AcornTheBetta said:
Is there anyway to coax them into coming out more often?
Feed them in the front

CoryKat

I recently got some corys and I had to wait about 3 weeks before they were comfortable to come out from under decorations. I don't know if this applies to your corys, but I'd wait a little longer and see if they come out more. You could try feeding them where you don't have any decorations.

Kathylee

AcornTheBetta said:
Parameters:
I've had 3 in my 20g for 10 months- they were very shy at first (and very small) after a few months they stopped hiding. Now they swim all over & play in the air stone bubbles. I would just suggest time. Are yours juveniles? I noticed the larger they became the more confidence they had. I have my 4 new cories adjusting right now.. & they hide a lot, dart for cover, if I walk near the tank all 4 huddle together & hide, I feel like it's common with them at first.

Fisch

How bright is it in your tank? I noticed that mine live to hang out in the shade.

AcornTheBetta

Sputnik said:
How many cories total? ( I lost track!) if you have under 8 you may want to add a few
8 in total!
SnookusFish said:
Feed them in the front
Ok. I'll start doing that.
Kathylee said:
I've had 3 in my 20g for 10 months- they were very shy at first (and very small) after a few months they stopped hiding. Now they swim all over & play in the air stone bubbles. I would just suggest time. Are yours juveniles? I noticed the larger they became the more confidence they had. I have my 4 new cories adjusting right now.. & they hide a lot, dart for cover, if I walk near the tank all 4 huddle together & hide, I feel like it's common with them at first.
Yup they are all pretty young looking and small so I am almost 100% sure they are juveniles.
Fisch said:
How bright is it in your tank? I noticed that mine live to hang out in the shade.
Not overly bright. I think the light is set on 80%

AcornTheBetta

Hi all!
I know I have been a bit absent from the forum recently (I've been really caught up with a bunch of school-related stuff), but I am back with an update on the 29g. Here it is:

As many of you guys know, I have been battling a green water problem recently. I am now feeding less and set the lighting schedule for one hour less which I hope takes care of the problem. Today I did a 50% water change which I think helped a lot with the problem. In addition to this, I have been noticing some small spots of redness on some of my corys and red around the gills of some of the WCMM so I tested the ammonia (I thought it might be ammonia poisoning). I found it hard to tell the results, but I think it was 0 ppm... Here's 2 photos:

20210206_174436.jpg

20210206_174444.jpg

If I am correct about the reading of 0 ppm, that means that it can't be ammonia poisoning, so does anyone have any thoughts on what else it could be? Now for some good news! The plants are growing really well (pearlweed is kinda taking over the left side so I'm going to try to sell some trimmings and Salvinia Minima to my LFS for a Super Red BN for this tank. All the fish seem to be doing well (except for the red spots). Thanks for reading and stay safe!
Here are some pics (ignore the bloodworms):

jmaldo

"0" ammonia to me. I had a bout with "Green" water awhile back. Of course out of balance, lowering the light time and additional 80% water changes back to back to back worked for me. I really do not see the red gills on the cory.
Good Luck!

AcornTheBetta

jmaldo said:
"0" ammonia to me. I had a bout with "Green" water awhile back. Of course out of balance, lowering the light time and additional 80% water changes back to back to back worked for me. I really do not see the red gills on the cory.
Good Luck!
Ok. Thanks! I think the reduced light will really help! Red gills aren't on that cory, but are present on others... Could be from some sort of stress...

Kathylee

AcornTheBetta said:

20210121_180429.jpg
Hey it's been a while, I was just wondering if your cories started coloring back up yet?
(I'm curious because my newer ones are still a little bit pale)
& how goes the green water battle? The most recent photo you posted here, it does look 50% more clear!

AcornTheBetta

Kathylee said:
Hey it's been a while, I was just wondering if your cories started coloring back up yet?
(I'm curious because my newer ones are still a little bit pale)
& how goes the green water battle? The most recent photo you posted here, it does look 50% more clear!
Hey!
I think they have started coloring back up, but it's very subtle. They are still hiding which is sad, but I think they'll become more brave with time. Green water is slowly going away and it's even less green now....

AcornTheBetta

Got the BN today....
Introducing Mort:

Kathylee

AcornTheBetta said:
Got the BN today....
Introducing Mort:
Awe congrats on finally getting him! I know you've been wanting to add one for a while!
Good looking fella
No reds available?

AcornTheBetta

Kathylee said:
Awe congrats on finally getting him! I know you've been wanting to add one for a while!
Good looking fella
No reds available?
No reds sadly, but I'm fine with a standard colored one

AcornTheBetta

I now have a problem. So, as you guys know, I was originally planning to have a center piece fish in this tank but those plans didn't look like they would work out. Now that I have had the tank for a while, I think it is really in need of a sort of star of the show fish. Anyone have suggestions?
Tank is at 75 F and has 6 WCMM, 7 Bronze Corys, 1 BN pleco, and 4 Nerite Snails. I would like something that is mostly peaceful since the corys are already a bit shy....

Gudgie

Honey gourami or Bolivian ram? I think either could work, though the gourami might be better since it’ll stay higher in the tank than the ram (since you already have the cories and BN). I know you previously considered both species, can’t remember if there was a specific reason either was ruled out.

AcornTheBetta

Gudgie said:
Honey gourami or Bolivian ram? I think either could work, though the gourami might be better since it’ll stay higher in the tank than the ram (since you already have the cories and BN). I know you previously considered both species, can’t remember if there was a specific reason either was ruled out.
I was debating between one of those or maybe an Apisto. I also wanted to maybe consider an angel (I know the tank is a bit small. I ruled them out over concerns about space, but now that I have everyone else in there I'm seeing that it's less of a problem than I thought. Could I keep one ram?

Gudgie

AcornTheBetta said:
I was debating between one of those or maybe an Apisto. I also wanted to maybe consider an angel (I know the tank is a bit small. I ruled them out over concerns about space, but now that I have everyone else in there I'm seeing that it's less of a problem than I thought. Could I keep one ram?
Should be able to easily keep a solo ram. Mine have never seemed particularly social with one another (though I don’t have a mated pair).

AcornTheBetta

Gudgie said:
Should be able to easily keep a solo ram. Mine have never seemed particularly social with one another (though I don’t have a mated pair).
What are your thoughts on an angel in a 29g?

AcornTheBetta

Anyone else have ideas for a center piece or opinions on an angel in a 29g?

AggressiveAquatics

AcornTheBetta said:
Anyone else have ideas for a center piece or opinions on an angel in a 29g?
I wouldn’t do an angel in a 29 IMO. The other fish wouldn’t have enough space to run from the terror lol. Have you considered a trio of honey gourami or a pearl gourami? Sorry I haven’t been keeping up with the thread so I don’t know what other fish you got but maybe something like a Julidochromis Marlieri

AcornTheBetta

AggressiveAquatics said:
I wouldn’t do an angel in a 29 IMO. The other fish wouldn’t have enough space to run from the terror lol. Have you considered a trio of honey gourami or a pearl gourami? Sorry I haven’t been keeping up with the thread so I don’t know what other fish you got but maybe something like a Julidochromis Marlieri
I've consider honeys, but not a pearl.... I feel like 29 is too small for the angel as well.

Kathylee

AcornTheBetta said:
I've consider honeys, but not a pearl.... I feel like 29 is too small for the angel as well.
What's left on your list for stocking choices?
Your BN looks great by the way! Still no bristles? Mine started getting reeaalllyy round in the midsection, she has a few teeny tiny whisps around her mouth, but not that full-blown "tentacle" look, so I definitely believe mine is female. In May, I'll have had her for one year. Do you know the age of yours when purchased?

AcornTheBetta

Kathylee said:
What's left on your list for stocking choices?
Your BN looks great by the way! Still no bristles? Mine started getting reeaalllyy round in the midsection, she has a few teeny tiny whisps around her mouth, but not that full-blown "tentacle" look, so I definitely believe mine is female. In May, I'll have had her for one year. Do you know the age of yours when purchased?
Right now for centerpiece my options are:
- Male/Female pair of Bolivian Rams
- 1m 2f trio of Honey Gouramis
Any other ideas?
Thanks! Still no bristles. IDK the exact age but maybe ~6 months???

jmaldo

Since Bolivians are my favorite, well...

Bolivian Pair.jpg

Whatever you decide on..

Good Luck!

smalli

AcornTheBetta said:
HELLO FISHLORE!
It's official, I'm starting to put together my 29g tank. My parents finally let me (with a butt-ton of bargaining) get this 29g as the main display tank! It did come at a cost, of course, I have to pay for all of it, and I had to promise to never get another tank again , luckily, I have a 5g and a 10g already. Now, because I agreed to that, I have to make this tank count! I ordered the filter, the light, and the thermometer today. I will be picking up the tank, the stand, the soil (I'm doing a dirted tank), and the sand tomorrow. I hope I can spray paint the background after I pick up all that stuff. On Saturday morning, I will set up the substrate. Then, Saturday afternoon, I will be heading to my LFS to pick up a ton of plants and hardscape. I will be alum dipping the plants for 2 days before I finally add them to the tank on Monday. Then I will fill the tank and so on and so forth. I will keep you guys posted with tons of pictures of the tank throughout all the stages! OOOOOOO I'M SO EXCITED!
love it

AcornTheBetta

jmaldo said:
Since Bolivians are my favorite, well...

Bolivian Pair.jpg

Whatever you decide on..

Good Luck!
Yeah I'm leaning towards Bolivians as well... If I get them, are there any key things I need to know? Would they like a rock cave?

JLAquatics

Looks like I'm late to the party! Great tank you setting up there, AcornTheBetta!

jmaldo

AcornTheBetta said:
If I get them, are there any key things I need to know? Would they like a rock cave?
Not really but "Highly" recommend sand they are "sifters" after all. They do appreciate "Plants" to take a break. Very docile for Rams except when guarding eggs/fry.
Mine never really liked caves not even to explore.

Good Luck!

AcornTheBetta

jmaldo said:
Not really but "Highly" recommend sand they are "sifters" after all. They do appreciate "Plants" to take a break. Very docile for Rams except when guarding eggs/fry.
Mine never really liked caves not even to explore.

Good Luck!
Yup I have sand already! This tank is pretty well planted so I'm good as far as plants go.

AcornTheBetta

Right now, I am leaning toward the Bolivian option, but do you guys think that Apistos (maybe a male female pair) would work in this tank?

AcornTheBetta

The pleco is becoming more and more active and the tank is doing very well aside from a bit of algae. The pearlweed is growing really fast... I really love this tank. Hopefully, I can get my hands some Bolivians this weekend... Should I get a solo Bolivian or try to get a m/f pair?

AcornTheBetta

*cries* my LFS (Ultimate Aquarium for anyone who is in the area) had Bolivians, but they are in a tank that's being treated for ich so I couldn't get them This was the only time this weekend and this week that I could make it to the LFS and had someone to drive me so I guess have to wait until next weekend. The question still remains, should I get one Bolivian or a pair?
Current Stocking (if anyone is wondering or is too lazy to look like me all the time lol):
6 WCMM
7 Bronze Corys
1 BN Pleco
4 Nerite Snails (will be 3 soon since one is going to be moved once I set up Acorn's high tech tank)

AcornTheBetta

Got 7 Amanos to help with some of the algae I've been dealing with as of lately. I hope they all made it into the tank, but it was hard to tell since they're clear and kinda small.

SnookusFish

Have you got any newer pictures of your tank

AcornTheBetta

SnookusFish said:
Have you got any newer pictures of your tank
Not right now, but I'll get some when I get home.

JJ3204

Hate to bug ya but.... any newer pics?

AcornTheBetta

JJ3204 said:
Hate to bug ya but.... any newer pics?
Oh right lol! I'll get some tomorrow since the lights are off and I've had a super long day today. Promise! Just remind me!

AcornTheBetta

As promised:

20210427_181223.jpg

Sorry for the algae and fork mess lol

JJ3204

looks like a lot of new plant growth! the water looks less green from what i can tell, your tank looks very cool

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom