AcornTheBetta's 29g build! - Page 3

AcornTheBetta

Lol none of you guys answered. Do you think I should get shrimp for this tank along with the other fish stated before? Also, I think that the WCMM laid eggs.

20201102_101332.jpg

SnookusFish

What fish are in the tank? What are the parameters? How long have the "eggs" been there

AggressiveAquatics

AcornTheBetta said:
Lol none of you guys answered. Do you think I should get shrimp for this tank along with the other fish stated before? Also, I think that the WCMM laid eggs.
I could be eggs but it’s weird why one is big

LilyPipeDreams

If your parameters are stable, you could probably add some hearty specimens. Maybe Amano's? I do forget what you have in the tank, so nothing too small that they'll get eaten

AcornTheBetta

SnookusFish said:
What fish are in the tank? What are the parameters? How long have the "eggs" been there
Only two WCMM right now. The parameters are 0 ppm ammonia and nitrite and about 1 ppm nitrate. I saw the "eggs 2 days ago.
AggressiveAquatics said:
I could be eggs but it’s weird why one is big
Maybe it's a clump of eggs?
LilyPipeDreams said:
If your parameters are stable, you could probably add some hearty specimens. Maybe Amano's? I do forget what you have in the tank, so nothing too small that they'll get eaten
The stocking would be:
3 Honey Gouramis
8 WCMM
8 Bronze Corys
1 BN pleco
Maybe I could do some RCS? The tank has a lot of hiding spots.

AggressiveAquatics

I know this is off topic but how’s acorn doing?

AcornTheBetta

AggressiveAquatics said:
I know this is off topic but how’s acorn doing?
He's doing well. He's been battling fin rot for a while now, but I think he is making a comeback.

BettasAreSuperior

AcornTheBetta said:
He's doing well. He's been battling fin rot for a while now, but I think he is making a comeback.
Yay!! My betta has fin rot but he is also biting his tail. Surprisingly, he is also making a comeback and has a bunch of his tail left. (Thank extra water changes and aquarium salt)

FishGirl115

I don't see why you couldn't do shrimp

AcornTheBetta

FishGirl115 said:
I don't see why you couldn't do shrimp
Just worried they could turn into very expensive live food.

AggressiveAquatics

AcornTheBetta said:
Just worried they could turn into very expensive live food.
It depends on what shrimp you want ghost shrimp are only like 70 cents

AcornTheBetta

AggressiveAquatics said:
It depends on what shrimp you want ghost shrimp are only like 70 cents
Would ghost shrimp reproduce in freshwater?

AggressiveAquatics

AcornTheBetta said:
Yeah

BettasAreSuperior

AcornTheBetta said:
I don't like the look of ghost shrimp. I love the look red cherry shrimp and Amano shrimp though. Amano shrimp only reproduce in brackish water. Also, Amano shrimp are bigger and there is less chance they will be eaten. But, hey that's just my two cents.

AcornTheBetta

BettasAreSuperior said:
I don't like the look of ghost shrimp. I love the look red cherry shrimp and Amano shrimp though. Amano shrimp only reproduce in brackish water. Also, Amano shrimp are bigger and there is less chance they will be eaten. But, hey that's just my two cents.
I would like something that reproduces so I think amanos are out.

BettasAreSuperior

AcornTheBetta said:
I would like something that reproduces so I think amanos are out.
Oh-h-h-h-, lol, I thought you wanted something that wouldn't reproduce. Ok.

AcornTheBetta

BettasAreSuperior said:
Oh-h-h-h-, lol, I thought you wanted something that wouldn't reproduce. Ok.
No I'm fine with a shrimp army lol

SnookusFish

AcornTheBetta said:
Only two WCMM right now. The parameters are 0 ppm ammonia and nitrite and about 1 ppm nitrate. I saw the "eggs 2 days ago.

Maybe it's a clump of eggs?

The stocking would be:
3 Honey Gouramis
8 WCMM
8 Bronze Corys
1 BN pleco
Maybe I could do some RCS? The tank has a lot of hiding spots.
I mean parameters like hardness and pH. Also they arent eggs if they have been their so long, eggs are very obviously eggs when you see them. What happened to the 3 killifsh plan?

AcornTheBetta

SnookusFish said:
I mean parameters like hardness and pH. Also they arent eggs if they have been their so long, eggs are very obviously eggs when you see them. What happened to the 3 killifsh plan?
I just decided against the killifish. Kh and GH are both about 4, ph is 7.2.

BettasAreSuperior

AcornTheBetta

Would this be overstocked? There are tons of live plants and it's very over-filtered (7x the tank size per hour).
3 Honey Gouramis
12 WCMM
10 Bronze Corys
1 BN

BettasAreSuperior

AcornTheBetta said:
Would this be overstocked? There are tons of live plants and it's very over-filtered (7x the tank size per hour).
3 Honey Gouramis
12 WCMM
10 Bronze Corys
1 BN
Yes, if you have good filtration, live plants, and weekly WC's that stocking shouldn't be a problem since parameters would be in check with diligent maintenance. So, the stocking is good IMO.

AcornTheBetta

BettasAreSuperior said:
Yes, if you have good filtration, live plants, and weekly WC's that stocking shouldn't be a problem since parameters would be in check with diligent maintenance. So, the stocking is good IMO.
Ok. I will do weekly 30-50% WC and vacuum well.

BettasAreSuperior

AcornTheBetta said:
Ok. I will do weekly 30-50% WC and vacuum well.
Yup. Just make sure every week. 40% would be good since 50% is changing half of the water. IMO, 50% is a little much so, 40% should be fine. Make sure to gravel the substrate and the water column.

LilyPipeDreams

This sounds fantastic! Please post some pictures when you have a chance!

AcornTheBetta

LilyPipeDreams said:
This sounds fantastic! Please post some pictures when you have a chance!
It's covered in algae RN lol. Imma do a WC today and then I'll post pics.

DarkOne

7x is not over-filtered but should be sufficient. 30-50% w/c is fine. I would leave the substrate alone because the cories will help clean it and you don't want to disturb it too much. Swirling a gravel vac over the substrate should be enough to pick up the detritus on top.

You also might want to look at a Rubberlip pleco over a BN. They stay smaller (3" vs 4-5") and will clean algae as well as a BN (neither will completely clean algae).

FishGirl115

I agree with rubber lip. Between my rubber lip pleco and mystery snails (mostly pleco tho) there's never algae anywhere for more than 12 hours.

AcornTheBetta

DarkOne said:
7x is not over-filtered but should be sufficient. 30-50% w/c is fine. I would leave the substrate alone because the cories will help clean it and you don't want to disturb it too much. Swirling a gravel vac over the substrate should be enough to pick up the detritus on top.

You also might want to look at a Rubberlip pleco over a BN. They stay smaller (3" vs 4-5") and will clean algae as well as a BN (neither will completely clean algae).
FishGirl115 said:
I agree with rubber lip. Between my rubber lip pleco and mystery snails (mostly pleco tho) there's never algae anywhere for more than 12 hours.
I really like the look of BNs. I am not getting them for the algae tho. I'm getting one cuz I love plecos. How are rubber lips different from bns?

FishGirl115

AcornTheBetta said:
I really like the look of BNs. I am not getting them for the algae tho. I'm getting one cuz I love plecos. How are rubber lips different from bns?
I don't like the look of bns, but up to you I think it's mainly the size difference. I think you could do either tho

AcornTheBetta

FishGirl115 said:
I don't like the look of bns, but up to you I think it's mainly the size difference. I think you could do either tho
What about diet? I love the BN look lol

DarkOne

AcornTheBetta said:
I love both. Rubberlips stay smaller so it might be a better fit for your tank. I think they look great. I have 2 and I think they're both female. I might pick up a few more to try to get a male and breed them.

Here's a stock photo. Mine are camera shy.

ff859dc803f026f6a5ea567cc9d369d2.jpg

AcornTheBetta

DarkOne said:
I love both. Rubberlips stay smaller so it might be a better fit for your tank. I think they look great. I have 2 and I think they're both female. I might pick up a few more to try to get a male and breed them.

Here's a stock photo. Mine are camera shy.
I kinda like the BNs more, but if my LFS has them and not BNs, I'll get them.

MacZ

I wouldn't pick a rubberlip. They do best in a strong current and high oxygen levels as far as I know.

AcornTheBetta

MacZ said:
I wouldn't pick a rubberlip. They do best in a strong current and high oxygen levels as far as I know.
Ok. Are they wild caught? I swear I saw something about all of them being wild caught. I think DoubleDutch may have said that but I could do wrong. I do not want any wild caught fish.

BettasAreSuperior

I agree with AcornTheBetta . BN plecos will thrive in a heavily planted, peaceful, 29-gallon tank, which is what he has.29gallon is perfect for a pleco. The max size is 5 inches for a BN.

MacZ

AcornTheBetta said:
Ok. Are they wild caught? I swear I saw something about all of them being wild caught. I think DoubleDutch may have said that but I could do wrong. I do not want any wild caught fish.
Yes he did. Here they are almost always wild caught. I think wild caught fish are not absolutely wrong, but really only something for those who try and breed them for the benefit of their wild conspecifics as they don't have to be collected anymore. Rubberlips seem to be hard to breed. (Probably because of the biotope they come from.)

Scroll down, there are pictures from the biotope.

AcornTheBetta

MacZ said:
Yes he did. Here they are almost always wild caught. I think wild caught fish are not absolutely wrong, but really only something for those who try and breed them for the benefit of their wild conspecifics as they don't have to be collected anymore. Rubberlips seem to be hard to breed. (Probably because of the biotope they come from.)

I realize that wild caught are not that bad, I just don't like the thought that I took a creature from nature for my own amusement. I guess that kinda is the hobby tho. I saw this thing the other day that says that catching fish in the wild is less harmful than so many other businesses that happen down where these fish come from. And it's a way to make a living for the people who do it, it's just not my thing tho.

MacZ

AcornTheBetta said:
I realize that wild caught are not that bad, I just don't like the thought that I took a creature from nature for my own amusement. I guess that kinda is the hobby tho. I saw this thing the other day that says that catching fish in the wild is less harmful than so many other businesses that happen down where these fish come from. And it's a way to make a living for the people who do it, it's just not my thing tho.
It depends. You know, while some projects catch wild fish and help to preserve the ecosystem by giving people a reason to protect it, not every way of collection is sustainable and fair. I think it's still not fair but it's a start.
I can totally understand your point of view. I used to keep wild caught cichlids, made them spawn and then gave them to people that raised them in numbers. I am in the lucky position I can say that I was part of a process that helped keep some species alive. We kept a few victoria cichlids (almost 25 years ago) among our east africans, of which today many species are endangered (by nile perch mostly) and illegal to import here. Decendants of my fish swim in zoos today, keeping some of the species alive.
But today I actually only want to keep fish. I'm already more than uncomfortable with the thought to have not kept a species since I reentered the hobby without having losses. Even losing two species out of four completely. Since one of these species was Otos, I decided after that: No wild caughts. Period.

AcornTheBetta

MacZ said:
It depends. You know, while some projects catch wild fish and help to preserve the ecosystem by giving people a reason to protect it, not every way of collection is sustainable and fair. I think it's still not fair but it's a start.
I can totally understand your point of view. I used to keep wild caught cichlids, made them spawn and then gave them to people that raised them in numbers. I am in the lucky position I can say that I was part of a process that helped keep some species alive. We kept a few victoria cichlids (almost 25 years ago) among our east africans, of which today many species are endangered (by nile perch mostly) and illegal to import here. Decendants of my fish swim in zoos today, keeping some of the species alive.
But today I actually only want to keep fish. I'm already more than uncomfortable with the thought to have not kept a species since I reentered the hobby without having losses. Even losing two species out of four completely. Since one of these species was Otos, I decided after that: No wild caughts. Period.
Yeah I have never had wild caught and aim to never have them.

AcornTheBetta

Do you guys think I can add 3-4 nerite snails to my stocking?
The updated stocking is:
3 Honey Gouramis
12 WCMM
10 Bronze Corys
1 BN
3-4 Nerites (Maybe)
EDIT: My concern is that the BN would bully/suck on them.

MacZ

The BN might be too big for the tank anyway. Without it the stocking would be ok.

AcornTheBetta

MacZ said:
The BN might be too big for the tank anyway. Without it the stocking would be ok.
I really want the BN tho

MacZ

That is a totally different problem.

Plecos eat and poop constantly (nerites, too, for that matter). So a fully grown BN equals easily the bioload of all planned specimens of any of the other species. It may not be a problem as long as the BN is a small juvenile, but later on this is going to suck (literally) keeping up with the cleaning.
I would scratch one of the other species in exchange for the BN then.

Keep that in mind. Choose wisely.

AcornTheBetta

MacZ said:
That is a totally different problem.

Plecos eat and poop constantly (nerites, too, for that matter). So a fully grown BN equals easily the bioload of all planned specimens of any of the other species. It may not be a problem as long as the BN is a small juvenile, but later on this is going to suck (literally) keeping up with the cleaning.
I would scratch one of the other species in exchange for the BN then.

Keep that in mind. Choose wisely.
Ok. I will consider scraping one of the other species for the BN... or maybe I could just lower the numbers of the WCMM and Bronze corys?

MacZ

By now, you should know two things:
a. Don't try to negotiate things like this with me.
b. It's generally not a good idea to just push numbers in such cases.

AcornTheBetta

MacZ said:
By now, you should know tow things:
a. Don't try to negotiate things like this with me.
b. It's generally not a good idea to just push numbers in such cases.
Lol I really love and want all of these fish! I guess we'll see how this plays out.

MySquishy

AcornTheBetta said:
Today the lid and the air pump came! Here are some pics. I also set up the wiring so I have 1 wire that goes into the cabinet so it looks neat.
20200928_192818.jpg

20200928_192807.jpg
Hey! That air pump looks time the one I have my eye on for when I hopefully get to set up my tank. I’d love to hear how it’s working for you/ which amazon vendor it’s from. ( the two I’m aware of are “best buds” and “Kedsum”)

AcornTheBetta

MySquishy said:
Hey! That air pump looks time the one I have my eye on for when I hopefully get to set up my tank. I’d love to hear how it’s working for you/ which amazon vendor it’s from. ( the two I’m aware of are “best buds” and “Kedsum”)
It works really well, but it's very hard to find airline tubing that is the right size for it, so I would not recommend it.

DarkOne

AcornTheBetta said:
Lol I really love and want all of these fish! I guess we'll see how this plays out.
I have 15 plecos, 3 which are 6-7" now and will grow to 10-12" in a 40g breeder. I do 5g w/c daily (mostly to siphon out the poop) and 50% at least weekly. I also have a QuietFlow 50, sponge filter and 2 moving bed filters. Keeping an overstocked tank is doable but it takes dedication and LOTS of maintenance. You also need to introduce fish slowly and ramp up the amount of food slowly so the BB can catch up.

AcornTheBetta said:
It works really well, but it's very hard to find airline tubing that is the right size for it, so I would not recommend it.
I've been thru a few different brands of air pumps and for 1-2 tanks, I highly recommend the Active Aqua. They have models from 1 to 8 ports built into the pump and a dial to control the amount of air. I have a 2 port pump and it's currently running 2 tanks with 4 filters (3 sponge, 1 box) and a breeder box that takes minimal air. They're very competitively priced and relatively quiet.
Amazon.com

Danner was another highly recommended pump but it's not as powerful. Whisper and Fluval pumps are good for about a year if you're lucky.

If you need to run 3-6 tanks, the Alita AL-6 is amazing. I'm running 8 filters in 5 tanks with this pump and it's dead quiet. 3 of those filters are moving bed filters that need a lot of air to run.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H4QG56/

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom