Acorn's 5g Blackwater Build

AcornTheBetta

Member
Hi all!
This is a build thread for my betta's(Acorn) 5g build. It's a Fluval Spec V with all the stock equipment except for the filter media.
Plants:
Hardscape + Botanicals:
  • Madrone Wood
  • River Rock
  • Magnolia Leaves
  • Magnolia Seed Pods
Do you think the wood is too sharp? Any tips for me? LMK if you have any questions. Here is tank after I rescaped it. It's not blackwatery right now, but it will be...

20201026_193640.jpg
 

Kribensis27

Member
That’ll look amazing when the tint comes out and the plants grow in. The wood could use some sanding on those tips, but I don’t think it’s totally necessary.
 

AquaticQueen

Member
The wood doesn't look too sharp to me. When in doubt, take a piece of nylon and rub it against the surface of the wood. If it snags, don't use it in the tank. If it doesn't, great! You can use it.

Also, just wondering, what type of plant is that in the substrate on the right?
 

Hugooo

Member
Following! Are you planning to add any more fish/invertebrates to this scape?
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Kribensis27 said:
That’ll look amazing when the tint comes out and the plants grow in. The wood could use some sanding on those tips, but I don’t think it’s totally necessary.
Ok. I will look into if it is too sharp.
AquaticQueen said:
The wood doesn't look too sharp to me. When in doubt, take a piece of nylon and rub it against the surface of the wood. If it snags, don't use it in the tank. If it doesn't, great! You can use it.
Trying that tomorrow!
AquaticQueen said:
Also, just wondering, what type of plant is that in the substrate on the right?
Dwarf Sag.
Hugooo said:
Following! Are you planning to add any more fish/invertebrates to this scape?
There is a zebra nerite in there now. I think I may try Acorn with RCS now that I have added so many small spaces in the rocks for them to hide.
 

Hugooo

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Ok. I will look into if it is too sharp.

Trying that tomorrow!

Dwarf Sag.

There is a zebra nerite in there now. I think I may try Acorn with RCS now that I have added so many small spaces in the rocks for them to hide.
Nice, but be careful with your betta's temperament! ;)
 

JLeeM

Member
This looks really nice! You're putting my betta tank to shame.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
JLeeM said:
This looks really nice! You're putting my betta tank to shame.
Thanks! That's how I felt for a while. Now mine looks better.
Hugooo said:
Nice, but be careful with your betta's temperament! ;)
I will
 

MacZ

Member
Kribensis27 said:
That’ll look amazing when the tint comes out and the plants grow in.
Absolutely agree. Great scape. The tint will bring it to life.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
MacZ said:
Absolutely agree. Great scape. The tint will bring it to life.
Thanks!

Are the plants planted correctly?
 

MacZ

Member
Can't see anything wrong. I would have noticed and told you already.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
MacZ said:
Can't see anything wrong. I would have noticed and told you already.
Ok. I was just a little worried that I planted the Dwarf Sag too low.
 

MacZ

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Ok. I was just a little worried that I planted the Dwarf Sag too low.
Doesn't look like it.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
MacZ said:
Doesn't look like it.
Ok. Do you think that I should trim the tops of the Dwarf Sag?
 

MacZ

Member
No idea, honestly. Just let it grow.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
I realized I haven't posted here in a while so I will post tomorrow. Here are some updates I can give:
The plants are growing a medium amount
Acorn bullied some plants so I have to fix those
I got a heater cover
There are a lot more tannins now
I realized my dwarf sag may not be dwarf sag (Chanyi maybe you can look at it tomorrow when I update)
 

Chanyi

Member
I don't think is sag

Looks like a Helanthium or a val.

Let the leaves grow out and we will know for sure.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Chanyi said:
I don't think is sag

Looks like a Helanthium or a val.

Let the leaves grow out and we will know for sure.
It's growing a bit so I'll get some pics.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Here are the photos. What do you think? Chanyi Dwarf Sag or something else? Thx!

20201106_181617.jpg

20201106_181627.jpg

20201106_181638.jpg

20201106_181722.jpg
 

Jon Crosby

Member
Not sure if it's just me but you have a lot of substrate. How deep is it?
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Jon Crosby said:
Not sure if it's just me but you have a lot of substrate. How deep is it?
Lol I did go a bit overboard of the substrate since I forgot dirt expands. Oh whatever, I think it's fine lol. More space for an elaborate root system.
 

Jon Crosby

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Lol I did go a bit overboard of the substrate since I forgot dirt expands. Oh whatever, I think it's fine lol. More space for an elaborate root system.
More space for roots but less swimming space at the same time
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Jon Crosby said:
More space for roots but less swimming space at the same time
Fair point. The only stock is a snail and a betta so I think I'm fine...
 

Jon Crosby

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Fair point. The only stock is a snail and a betta so I think I'm fine...
100% Agree they'll be fine, was just saying that's all
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Jon Crosby said:
100% Agree they'll be fine, was just saying that's all
Lol. Ok.
 

PaulThaAsian

Member
This is nicely scaped! Keep it up!
 

AquaticQueen

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Here are the photos. What do you think? Chanyi Dwarf Sag or something else? Thx!

20201106_181617.jpg

20201106_181627.jpg

20201106_181638.jpg

20201106_181722.jpg
I'm 99.9999999% sure that's a dwarf sag. Nice tank.
 

Chanyi

Member
It's looking more like sag to me as well. Helnthium would grow taller leaves yet, almost like a val, let some continue to grow out.
 

BettasAreSuperior

Member
Did acorn's fin rot get better?
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
BettasAreSuperior said:
Did acorn's fin rot get better?
No. I think I may try to take him out and apply 12% H2O2 to his fins and then put him back in. I saw Foo the Flowerhorn do it and I trust him...
 

BettasAreSuperior

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
No. I think I may try to take him out and apply 12% H2O2 to his fins and then put him back in. I saw Foo the Flowerhorn do it and I trust him...
Oh, no. I thought the blackwater would help. Good luck. Also, has the rot reached Acorn's body?
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
BettasAreSuperior said:
Oh, no. I thought the blackwater would help. Good luck. Also, has the rot reached Acorn's body?
Nope. It's basically at a stand still mid fin
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member

BettasAreSuperior

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Not sure...
How do I tell the difference?
Whats the dif?
Well, Fin rot can be the result of a bacterial infection, which causes a ragged rotting of the fin and nothing else is visible but the rotting as a fungal infection (which rots the fin more evenly and is more likely to produce a white "edge"). Beware tho bacterial infections can look like fungal infections. Can we see a clear, close up of acorn's fins?
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
BettasAreSuperior said:
Well, Fin rot can be the result of a bacterial infection, which causes a ragged rotting of the fin and nothing else is visible but the rotting as a fungal infection (which rots the fin more evenly and is more likely to produce a white "edge"). Beware tho bacterial infections can look like fungal infections. Can we see a clear, close up of acorn's fins?
Oh. Yeah I'll get a close up tomorrow, just remind me at like 8 AM lol. I think its bacterial.
 

BettasAreSuperior

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Oh. Yeah I'll get a close up tomorrow, just remind me at like 8 AM lol. I think its bacterial.
I will. (hopefully I remember, lol)
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
BettasAreSuperior said:
I will. (hopefully I remember, lol)
I remembered

Here are the pictures:

20201114_101941.jpg

20201114_102008_1.jpg
 

BettasAreSuperior

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
I remembered

Here are the pictures:

20201114_101941.jpg

20201114_102008_1.jpg
It looks like bacterial. So, you can narrow it down and find a good bacterial medication. What meds have you tried so far?
 
Top Bottom