Aclimating nerite snails

Madeline Peterson

So, I'm planning on breeding nerite snails in brackish water as loach food. However, the ones I get from the store will be used to fresh water, and, when I put the offspring in fresh water to feed the loaches, I'd prefer it if they didn't die before the loaches eat them. So. My question is this. How do I aclimate the nerite snails from brackish water to fresh, and vica versa? Also, how old do the nerite offspring need to be before they can survive in fresh water at all?

StarGirl

Couldn't you just use something like Ramshorn instead? Nerites seem like they would be too tricky to breed for food for another fish.

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

Nerites breed like crazy in brackish water. And I'm doing ramshorn snails too, as well as mystery, trumpet, and bladder snails, plus ghost shrimp, daphnia, blackworms, tubifex worms, and scuds. I want my loaches to have a varied diet, like they would in the wild. I plan to try to breed the loaches, so they need to be in tiptop shape.

Also, breeding inverts is just fun.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I would say maybe to acclimate them have different stages of salinity? I don't know how else you could do it.

Upvote 0

MasterPython

Has anyone actually bred them? I think they are almost all wild caught because no one can do it consistently.

If you just want snail larva as food that might work. I think they hatch in brackish then need a full on marine tank to mature then be acclimated back to brackish and fresh.

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

I actually read a couple of articles on breeding them. They breed readily enough. It's just the eggs need brackish water to hatch. It doesn't need to be full on marine, and the adults can live just fine in brackish water, so all you need is to do is keep them in brackish water. All I need to know is what rate to increase the salinity at.

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

I actually read a couple of articles on breeding them. They breed readily enough. It's just the eggs need brackish water to hatch. It doesn't need to be full on marine, and the adults can live just fine in brackish water, so all you need is to do is keep them in brackish water. All I need to know is what rate to increase the salinity at.
It does sound easy but if it actually was, all the information out there wouldn't be so vague. "Brackish" is a broad range and different species need different conditions to breed (of which there is almost no information available.) And even if they do hatch the hard part is keeping the larvae alive.

If you want to give it a try, you can acclimate them like you would a fish but if you're changing the salinity of the whole tank you want to make changes of up to 0.002 per week as to not crash your cycle.

Upvote 0

richiep

I know of no one who as successfully bred these, pretty complex just for food, you'd be better off and more productive with bladder snails.

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

It does sound easy but if it actually was, all the information out there wouldn't be so vague. "Brackish" is a broad range and different species need different conditions to breed (of which there is almost no information available.) And even if they do hatch the hard part is keeping the larvae alive.

If you want to give it a try, you can acclimate them like you would a fish but if you're changing the salinity of the whole tank you want to make changes of up to 0.002 per week as to not crash your cycle.

Apparently you need a specific gravity between 1.005 and 1.010. That seems like enough information to me. And I was planning on just setting up a brackish tank to begin with, not converting an existing tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
Replies
Views
mattgirl