Ack, the aqadvisor! Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by GoGreen, Dec 13, 2009.

1. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

:eek:
    I used this handy tool to calculate my final fish load for my tank and filter (I am 1 cory and 3 guppies away from my goal) and it claims that my filter will only filter 72% of my tank and that it (the fluval 205) will only efficiently do 26g (mine is 30g) Fluval says that the 205 will do 55g if you check out their website!
    Eek! Should I just ignore the advice of this site? Also it says not to keep swordtails and platys together, do I need to relocate one or the other? Any advice?

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I started with a fluval 205 for my 30 gallon, and then upgraded to a fluval 305. I don't know why all of the filter companies rate the filters the way they do, but for a canister, you want a 5x flowrate, for hookon back, you want 10x flow. So the fluval 305 filters 185 gallons per hour, my tank is 30 gallons, which is just over the 5x recommendation.

I think you shold either understock your tank, upgrade to a 305, or add a small filter to help out the canister.

By the way, the 5x filtration was recommended to me on this website, by aqadvisor, and also by my local fish store.

3. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

If you'll read the entire thread there are some concerns which is why the admin made this post:
    The same can be said about equipment.

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

the fluval 205 is fine for your tank ;) no fretting allowed!

5. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

The flowrate for the Fluval 205 is 110 gallons per hour, by the way.

for real? When I first bought mine, a bunch of people on here said to go get the 305 (or at least a different, stronger one), and that the 205 wasn't big enough. :;sh I have the same size tank, pretty much (mine is a 30g long)

I spent extra money for no reason?? :'( :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  6. Shawnie

110 gph is fine for a 30g tank...not sure why they suggested it other than the longer tank ? :;dk IMO ...its never a waste of money to have more filtration ..but thas me ;D

7. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Okay, cool! I guess what's done is done now, I already have the 305. So when I upgrade to a larger tank someday, I'll be all set on the filter. (Anticipating the onset of MTS) lol

8. Shawnie

correction, just saw the stock list in the ops tank...and with the addition of the new fish, I would upgrade the filter...

9. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

lol, okay gogreen, there you have it. Shawnie, Lucy, you guys give the best advice. ;D

GoGreen, I love my 305. if you want to upgrade to it, you'll be happy with it I think. I got lucky, and the local fishstore I bought the 205 from actually let me do the upgrade (I'd only had the 205 for a week, but it was set up and being used) at no extra expense. He just charged me the difference, let me take home the 305, set it up using all the media from the 205, and then let me bring the 205 back a couple of days later. Incredible service, huh?

But I know that this is unlikely to happen, as I think I really had an angel(fish) smiling down on me that day (got my 4th bottle of TSS for free from a different LFS, too). So if you want to add a bit of filtration, you can get a small hang-on-back filter to add with the fluval 205. It would be cheaper than getting a brand new filter. I like the penguins with the biowheels, personally.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. OP
    OP
    G

GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

Okay, well that clears it up (sort of) Maybe I will just add the one more panda and no guppies and call it a day, as I am not looking to upgrade right now. Would I be better off finding new homes for either a) my swordtails or b) my white cloud minnows or just leave it , add the panda but no more? Or, Lucy, should I just take all this with a grain of salt, and not get too excited about it.
    Meenu, the 305 is surely a great filter, I guess I could get an additional filter but that is just one more thing to plug in......something to think on I guess...

11. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I think that if you keep a close eye on the water parameters, if you are doing frequent maintainence on the tank, maybe you'll be fine? Do you have a good test kit? I suggest the API master kit. You could always just see how it goes and then add filtration if/when there is a problem.

12. Lucy

I'm not that great with stocking. I tend to understock my tanks.
    I think I'd go with the panda since you have your heart set on it and nothing else.
    Others may have better ideas though.

13. Shawnie

if it were me, id rehome the minnows as they prefer a cooler tank...then you could have room for the guppies

14. Lucy

:happy0034: Very good suggestion.

15. OP
    OP
    G

GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

Okay then!
    Based on the great advice, I will:
    1. Keep an eye on my water, Meenu, I use API test kits. Been keeping a close eye on my water right now anyway since I am kicking the Cycle habit!
    2. Look to rehome the white clouds should I decide on the guppies.(a good suggestion Shawnie since I am not as attached to them)
    3. Yeah! Still get my panda, Lucy you know how much I want one more!
    Thank you all.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice