Ack! I have surprise snails!!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've heard of this happening but it never happened to me before. I bought some drift wood from pet store and it introduced the snails to my tank. That's the only way the could have got there. I need help identifying them. They have a purple body and brown shell. Apparently they are very hardy as my tank is not even cycled yet and they are going strong. Is there a website/link to help me figure out what I'm dealing with?

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have any pictures?
If I had to guess, it's probably pond snails.

Some people keep them in their tank beecause it's a good sign later on, if you are over feeding. If you are, you will see a snail population boom! Other people don't like them and remove them... of which there are numerous ways to go about that. Easiest is probably to drop a good sized lettuce leaf in the tank. By the next morning there should be snails on the lettuce. Then you can just remove the lettuce. Repeat until no snails are found.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here are some pictures - do they look like any of these? I'm guessing ponds snails/bladder snails?

different snails.jpg

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Def looks more like the pond snail.

Do they contribute alot to the overall bio load? I guess I don't mind a few if they help with algae. But I don't want to be overrun and I don't want to have to get way less fish if the fish are heavy mess producers.

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I personally haven't heard anyone be concerned about pond snail bio load. They stay pretty small, and unless you over feed, your snail population should stay small too.

Of course if it gets out of hand, you can always do the lettuce thing. Or get an assasin snail. Problem with the assasin is once he goes thru your pond snail population, then you need to feed him something. Andddddd the cycle continues. LOL

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just got an assassin wed to deal with pond snails......going add snails with more benifits to continue feeding him once the pond snails are gone. They love mts, which agitate plants roots and eat algae. I like the ramshorns more than pond snails, so maybe a few of those for variety for savage Marvin.

I tried the lettuce first, but never caught a snail. Overnight and remove in the morning. I used spinach (what was in the house)......could be cause of lack of sucess

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads