Acidic Water

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
IS there a very fast way to make acidic water hard, higher ph and better in general for snails and shrimp?
Is it possible that alder cones are making water less hard? I bought some bc everyone says they're good for shrimp, but they make the water acidic. What gives?

I tried a "pH up" type liquid. I ended up using the whole bottle in one night on the 4 different enclosures but it didn't keep the pH up more than a few hours.

No, I don't have gh,kh or TDS test yet.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
AND snails. Their shells turn white and break easily. I don't understand what's making the water acidic as it tests fine from hose with filter.

Vinh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Eggs shell,cuttlefish work same way as corals.I used to fry eggs and save its shells...

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So...dumb question? Why are the alder cones HIGHLY recommended for shrimp if they're goin got lower the pH, which they need? Seems counter-intuitive.
It gives the shrimp something to eat at. Biofilm usually grows on alder cones and shrimp love to eat biofilms.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Youtubers say it helps them with breeding too. I had assumed bc it excreted a special hormone or something.
I'd think with thick foliage in the tank, they'd have enough biofilm, right?
How old or long do they have to be before they start breeding?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Youtubers say it helps them with breeding too. I had assumed bc it excreted a special hormone or something.
I'd think with thick foliage in the tank, they'd have enough biofilm, right?
How old or long do they have to be before they start breeding?
It takes about 3-5 months before they start breeding.

Top Bottom