Acf Gone Pale

1. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

Last night, I noticed that my ACF Blotchie looked really weird when she was swimming. When she landed, she looked really pale. I knew there was nothing I could do about it at 2 in the morning. When the tank lights went off she was hanging up the top by the heater.
    This morning, I thought he was dead, but turned out to be resting. I fed her some bloodworm and she's still pale, but swimming around.
    I read somewhere that their frog went pale when they put her in with a male, but Blotchie has been on her own for ages.
    What's up with her?

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Well Known Member Member

what color is your substrate, any pale decorations, how long do you use the light and what color is the light

3. OP
    OP
    m

Blue. Why?

4. andychrissytank

ACFs can manipulate their melanophores with a hormone to camouflage themselves. The substrate doesn't seem to be the trigger, have you recently changed the substrate? What about decorations and lighting

5. OP
    OP
    m

Nothing has changed. It's been the same all her life and she's about 8 years old now. If she's doing that she's done a pretty bad job about it because she stands out more now

6. andychrissytank

Can you post a picture of her, and what has she been eating

7. OP
    OP
    m

It might not be very good, she's back by the heater now. She looks different and I just want her to be okay.

Could it be old age?
    I know they live until 20 but maybe I did something wrong to make her ill early.

Attached Files:

8. andychrissytank

Interesting point about the age thing so I tried to look into it but I haven't found anything that states acf's lose color as they get older; maybe someone else knows that. I don't see any of the main problems (no chytrid, bloating, tumors) from these pics and I would say just to be safe get some Maracyn Plus/Kordon Methelyne Blue or aquarium salt since many frog medicines have been discontinued. It'll say fish but it still works on acf's. The doses will be on the back of the packages. Maybe try mixing up her diet if you don't do that already. Frogs, as mostly all amphibians, have great regenerative abilities and can heal themselves with the help of you :)

9. OP
    OP
    m

Okay I'll try it. Thank you for your help.

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I had a ADF in the past, and he lived for 7 years.

11. OP
    OP
    m

I have an ACF and she supposed to live for 20 years. I'm not wanting her to die this early.

12. OP
    OP
    m

Guys.
    Blotchie died.
    I'm so upset