Accurate co2 levels Question

Discussion in 'pH' started by cichlidmac, Dec 30, 2012.

1. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

I've always used the ph and kh equation to find co2 levels however, I've seen a few threads about the inaccuracy of this method. How to a find my exact levels? My Ph is 6.6 and dkh 4 which would be 30 ppm is the standard equation.

2. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Take a sample of tank water and set it in a bucket with an airstone.

Test this water's pH after 24 hours. This will be the actual pH of the water itself, without the added gases.

For 30 PPM CO2, you will want to drop the pH a full degree.

So, if your water's true pH is 7.4, then your target pH would be 6.4 degrees.

This is the best method to estimate CO2 absorption as it won't matter what is used to help buffer the water. I had to use this method when I was dealing with excessive phosphate levels. Those charts would tell me I had 100+ PPM CO2, yet my fish were still alive, and happily breeding.

3. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

from what I've learned those numbers are only slightly inaccurate and lean toward the conservative side. to me this means 2 things safety of my fish and less unused co2. so what if your not at 100percent plant growth? i'm sure your plants are growing just fine, and your livestock appreciate a little bit more air too. at one point I didn't have anything but plants in my 55. I had the co2 cranked way up, like 4 bubbles a second. the surface was a this grey skim and the pearling was amazing but, I dnt imgine a fish would survive very long. my ph and kh numbers work out to 30ppm as well. so for me that's working and i'm calling it accurate

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Do whatever works for you. It's your tank. :)

5. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

I'll do that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice