Accuracy Of Api Test Kits

w3amz

Reaction score
Has anyone measured the accuracy of API test kits against professional grade lab kits? Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates?

First time I'm using the API test kits. I used another brand previously and I have this example:

Water read 0.25 ppm nitrites, then I did a 25% water change. 3 hours later I ran another sample and it measured 0 ppm nitrites. That of course is not possible.

OP
w3amz

w3amz

Reaction score
We take each test twice and this has been repeatable. All test procedures are strictly followed. It seems there's no resolution around color changes around <.125 ppm. Nitrites at <.125ppm can be lethal. This basically makes this test kit worthless for most sensitive fish species is what our tests with it are suggesting..

OP
w3amz

w3amz

Reaction score
In comparison of API Nitrite Test Kit to LaMotte Nitrite test kit. We ran out of reagent. LaMotte goes down to 0.05 ppm NO2. We are suspecting the nitrite low level resolution on API is very poor.

OP
w3amz

w3amz

Reaction score
Again we repeat the test. 0.25 ppm measurement 30% water change walla 0 nitrites.

OP
w3amz

w3amz

Reaction score
Image attached. 0.25 ppm diluted by 30% of course is 30% less or 0.175 ppm.

So in other words the API test can't detect 0.175 ppm nitrites! I knew something was already strange 3-4 days into the live in cycle where we couldn't detect nitrites. This suggests if our study is correct and repeatable as it is for us your fish could die of nitrite poisoning and you wouldn't have a clue with the API test.

Attachments

OP
w3amz

w3amz

Reaction score
Of course no comment. Because no one has a clue this is actually going on.

Jellibeen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The increments are in .25 ppm, so I am not surprised it doesn’t detect an incrememt smaller than that. I am absolutely not phased by this.

OP
w3amz

w3amz

Reaction score
By the time API test kit measures nitrites your fish are at severe risk of dying . That's what our study says.

New Threads