Acclimating shipped fry?

shrimpyay

We ordered some endlers from Aquatic Arts and they arrived today. Happy and healthy! They included (or maybe a female gave birth in transit, unsure!) 4 fry with the females. I got the whole group drip acclimated and carefully transferred the adults into the QT tank, but am worried about including the fry in the large QT. I'm worried that the adults will eat them--they are tiny!!--and that the fry may not be able to find food in such a large tank. It is a rubbermaid container set up as QT with 13 gallons of water in it, plus plants. I currently have the babies separated in a 2 gallon bucket with conditioned, fresh water, some floating plants, a big handful of moss, and a crypt I've been holding in QT. All fish, babies included, have already eagerly eaten--I fed them first thing since the adults were a little *too* interested in the babies--and seem to be doing well.

My question is, should I keep the babies separate as I have them and just do constant water changes to maintain water quality, and care for them separately from the adults until they seem big enough not to get eaten? Or should I just put them in with the adults and trust that there's enough cover for them to hide/that they will be smart enough to find food? I won't have any trouble keeping them separate, I have plenty of time to dedicate to daily/multi-times daily water changes, and have a 1 gallon pitcher already filled with water, dechlorinator, and a wonder shell to bring up the hardness to where I need it sitting aside--I can always bring up the other one and just have a constant supply of aging water ready to go.

sinned4g63

You could get a breeder net to keep them in the main tank and cut down on maintenance and when they seem big enough just turn it over and remove it. It would keep everyone in the same tank and parameters and you would only have to feed one tank. The net will keep them safe from the adults but make things a lot easier on you. The plastic breeder boxes have slits that I wouldn't trust the fry not to swim through depending on size.

emeraldking

In general, endlers won't eat their fry.

shrimpyay

Woah, I completely forgot to reply to this thread, I'm so sorry! I did end up getting a breeder net, thanks for the recommendation.

I've read that with pure endlers they don't, but these are almost certainly hybrids, and I've heard enough about guppies and their murdery ways that I didn't want to chance it, haha! In the future I probably won't try to catch the babies and separate them, I was just worried. These are the first baby fish I've ever dealt with. In your experience, are even the guppy-endler hybrids trustworthy around fry?

Top Bottom