Acclimating Platys to New Tank

platyowner345

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have four little platy fish. I am moving across the country shortly, and I'm planning to put them in shipping bags and take them on my flight with me. I will have to introduce them to a brand new tank, but I'm taking some gravel, an old filter cartridge, and some decorations from my currently cycled tank to help kickstart the new tank's cycle. I'm curious to see if anyone has any tips for taking fish on flights or how to introduce these fish to the new tank as stress-free as possible. Should I acclimate them slowly to introduce to the new water or do the "plop and drop" method to get them out of their bags (they will be swimming in water from the old tank and will be in the bags for a maximum of 8 hours total)?
Thanks for any help! Much appreciated!

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
platyowner345 said:
Hi all!

I have four little platy fish. I am moving across the country shortly, and I'm planning to put them in shipping bags and take them on my flight with me. I will have to introduce them to a brand new tank, but I'm taking some gravel, an old filter cartridge, and some decorations from my currently cycled tank to help kickstart the new tank's cycle. I'm curious to see if anyone has any tips for taking fish on flights or how to introduce these fish to the new tank as stress-free as possible. Should I acclimate them slowly to introduce to the new water or do the "plop and drop" method to get them out of their bags (they will be swimming in water from the old tank and will be in the bags for a maximum of 8 hours total)?
Thanks for any help! Much appreciated!
I don't have experience flying with fish but the plop and drop method would be what I would do if they were in a bag for a long time. Welcome to fishlore!

New Threads