Acclimating pH differences

StarGirl

carsonsgjs

I wouldnt have said so. I suppose it would depend on how sensitive the fish is but 0.2 difference in ph isnt huge - my lfs tend to keep their water stable at 7.5 and ive acclimated to my tanks which are in the high 6s with no issues. Do it slowly through drip acclimation just to make sure?

StarGirl

The fish I knew were fine. The Cherries were what I was wondering more.. They are all in now. We will see how they do. They acclimated about 2 hours Shrimp drip and fish poured water in.

aquachris

I have Cherries in 8.2-8.4 and they thrive. The water they came in was 7.2... They did not adapt well, I lost quite a few, but the survivors bounced back and now I have sooooo many!

StarGirl

aquachris said:
I have Cherries in 8.2-8.4 and they thrive. The water they came in was 7.2... They did not adapt well, I lost quite a few, but the survivors bounced back and now I have sooooo many!
I got them from Bluefish. The pH lowest they started was 7.8. So they look ok so far. They had a cull tank for 5.99 so I got some of those.

JLAquatics

Same here with me, only more drastic. I got Cherry Shrimp in a Ph of 6.6 and acclimated them over 3 hours to the Ph of 8-8.2. I live in Michigan as well, and I think your shrimp will be okay as our water should be similar. Especially for the fact most of mine 10 out of 12 survived the Ph shift and are now multiplying. Happy Shrimp keeping.

StarGirl

CheeseHoarder said:
Same here with me, only more drastic. I got Cherry Shrimp in a Ph of 6.6 and acclimated them over 3 hours to the Ph of 8-8.2. I live in Michigan as well, and I think your shrimp will be okay as our water should be similar. Especially for the fact most of mine 10 out of 12 survived the Ph shift and are now multiplying. Happy Shrimp keeping.
Isn't our water awesome! lol

JLAquatics

StarGirl said:
Isn't our water awesome! lol
I agree! For some reason, my Lambchop Rasboras are trying to breed in my tank and it confuses me because everything online explains how hard it is to trigger this and that the water has to be very acidic for them to trigger spawning. We indeed do have awesome water in that regard.

aquachris

StarGirl said:
I got them from Bluefish. The pH lowest they started was 7.8. So they look ok so far. They had a cull tank for 5.99 so I got some of those.
I hope soon you will be like me and overrun by them HAHA!

StarGirl

Have not had any babies yet! I think they are too young. The Red I got yesterday was the size of a grain of rice. lol

MasterPython

JLAquatics said:
I agree! For some reason, my Lambchop Rasboras are trying to breed in my tank and it confuses me because everything online explains how hard it is to trigger this and that the water has to be very acidic for them to trigger spawning. We indeed do have awesome water in that regard.
Our city has near perfect water for Lake Malowi ciclids and my harliquen rasboras sure look like they are trying to spawn. I am pretty sure I could just stick a pair in a tank alone and get eggs. The glowlight tetras in my quarantine tank too.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom