Acclimating new plants necessary?

• Thread starter Dillan Murphy
  • Start date

Dillan Murphy

Well Known
is acclimating new plants necessary?

mang0

there are certain plants like crypts that will melt whenever put into new water, so some people acclimate those by cutting all the leaves off so that new growth will show up right away (and they won't have to deal with melting). but in my experience I never really acclimated my plants and they were fine, although you might want to if you are getting very sensitive ones or ones that came from water that is drastically different than yours (i got my plants at a store in my city so the water is exactly the same)

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
I wouldn't do anything with those other than maybe quarantining or treating them if you're concerned about hitchhiking snails.

Dillan Murphy

Well Known
JettsPapa said:
I wouldn't do anything with those other than maybe quarantining or treating them if you're concerned about hitchhiking snails.
Im not worried about snails they're going to be in a pea puffer tank

andy305mia

Well Known
mang0 said:
there are certain plants like crypts that will melt whenever put into new water, so some people acclimate those by cutting all the leaves off so that new growth will show up right away (and they won't have to deal with melting). but in my experience I never really acclimated my plants and they were fine, although you might want to if you are getting very sensitive ones or ones that came from water that is drastically different than yours (i got my plants at a store in my city so the water is exactly the same)
interesting, I have a bunch of crypts and I have read about cutting the leaves but I never have and never had any melt. Guess I was lucky, they did take a long time to grow like several months. No CO2 just liquid fert and tabs

Top Bottom