Acclimating Gsp To Saltwater

Discussion in 'Saltwater Puffers' started by alex11, Apr 25, 2018.

1. alex11

alex11 New Member Member

I am going to pick up my GSP today at my lfs. I have a 14 gallon tank setup for quarantine/acclimation that has a salinity of 1.003. Once she is acclimated to a salinity of about 1.021 she will be going into a 50 gallon predator tank. Any advice for acclimation to full salt?

2. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Do it slowly, really slowly. Just top off with half 1.003 salinity and half RO/DI water.

3. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

Would raising the salinity .001 sg a week be too fast?

4. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

I was planning on dripping saltwater in every 3 days at a higher salinity over the course of a day about a half gallon each time.

5. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

No that'd be fine.

I wouldn't do that, just get 2-3 gallons of 1.021 sg, and then 2-3 tubs of fresh clean RO/DI water. One day top off your evap with the salty water, and then the next day the freshwater. Do that every other day. It should raise salinity good and slowly. Just do it every 2 days if salinity is going up too fast.

6. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

That sounds like a plan. Will let you know how it goes. I picked her up a couple hours and she's already eating. Love how much personality puffers have wish I still had my 140 so I could get a porcupine or dog face but life happens small puffers are awesome too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice