Acclimating Freshwater Molly?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by CrazedHoosier, Apr 13, 2017.

1. CrazedHoosierWell Known MemberMember

So I am planning on having mollies as my first saltwater fish! I already have 2/3 waiting in my freshwater tank. How do I go about the process of acclimating them to saltwater? I've heard drip acclimation for a certain amount of hours, but also a process that will take a month. How exactly do you do it, and what method will get the best result?

2. kluggyValued MemberMember

Fresh water fish can not be acclimated to salt water

3. CrazedHoosierWell Known MemberMember

I don't think mollies are purely freshwater fish.

4. kluggyValued MemberMember

Sorry my mistake

5. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would do it very slowly over a month or so. I would do it so when you chanve their water you replace the water wuth clean water that is 10% saltwater and 90% freshwater then slowly increase the amountof saltwater you add until the tank is saltwater.

6. CrazedHoosierWell Known MemberMember

I never thought of that. It's a great idea, though! I'll start at the end of May most likely. So far I have a female dalmatian and a male Creamsicle. Not sure what type I should do as my last.

7. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Could you possibly get mollies that are already in saltwater? It would be a lot easier.

8. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I dripped mine for about 12 hours in a 5 gal bucket. They were fine to go in after that, I did the same when I brought them to just regular brackish water (long story).

9. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Mollies prefer brackish water. Look it up if you're not too sure about it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice