Acclimating Freshwater Molly?

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I am planning on having mollies as my first saltwater fish! I already have 2/3 waiting in my freshwater tank. How do I go about the process of acclimating them to saltwater? I've heard drip acclimation for a certain amount of hours, but also a process that will take a month. How exactly do you do it, and what method will get the best result?

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would do it very slowly over a month or so. I would do it so when you chanve their water you replace the water wuth clean water that is 10% saltwater and 90% freshwater then slowly increase the amountof saltwater you add until the tank is saltwater.

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would do it very slowly over a month or so. I would do it so when you chanve their water you replace the water wuth clean water that is 10% saltwater and 90% freshwater then slowly increase the amountof saltwater you add until the tank is saltwater.
I never thought of that. It's a great idea, though! I'll start at the end of May most likely. So far I have a female dalmatian and a male Creamsicle. Not sure what type I should do as my last.

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I dripped mine for about 12 hours in a 5 gal bucket. They were fine to go in after that, I did the same when I brought them to just regular brackish water (long story).

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollies prefer brackish water. Look it up if you're not too sure about it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom