Acclimating Fancy Guppies And Endlers To Saltwater!

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Fisker, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hey guys,

I work at Petsmart and have ended up with a lot of fish given to me by customers. I should have said no at some point but sometimes people show up with the fish already bagged up and in their hands... so more often than not, we take them and distribute them to employees who have tanks or give them away to people who can give them good homes.

I only have a couple of freshwater tanks in my room right now (I have a 20 long, two 10 gallons, and a 0.5 gallon all crammed into a tiny bedroom, with an empty 10, 5, and 3 gallon sitting in the closet), and only one of them is big enough for fish. So, that 10 gallon is way, way overstocked. I gotta start moving fish out - one of the ways to do that is going to be acclimating over some fish to saltwater, as most of my tanks are saltwater at this point. I already did just that with 3 balloon mollies - did it over about 30 hours with a slow drip and hyper-saline water, and although they seem to be a bit stressed, they're not showing signs of dehydration or severe illness. Just acting like they normally would in a new environment.

How long should I acclimate the guppies and endlers for? I was considering 48 or 72 hours, but wasn't sure. I use a 5 gallon bucket, an airstone, and a drip system to acclimate, so oxygenation in the bucket isn't an issue. Ammonia shouldn't be either, but if I had to do an extended acclimation, I'd probably change out some of the water at some point. Anyone got any insight?

Thanks.

2. Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your gonna put your guppies in a salt bath or a marine aquarium? Are you talking about keeping guppies in a marine aquarium ? You would have to acclimate them for a couple of months at least in that amount of time you could probably find homes for them - why not the tanks at your work - untill you could rehome them ? Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should - I just think it is an idea that needs to be thought through a little longer ;) p.s where in Ky are you?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  3. Brenden

BrendenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +144
    I don't see why you'd want to put guppies in a saltwater tank...not really their ideal environment. Just cause they can survive it doesn't mean it's healthy for them..

4. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,222
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Guppies can adjust to salt water. But be careful with fancy guppies. They're more vulnerable than wildguppies or even wildtype guppies. Most shortfinned guppies are stronger than bigtailed guppies if you'd like to put them in saltwater. Although, besides freshwater; wildguppies can also be found in brackish water. But I don't really think that guppies will last as long in marine water in comparison to freshwater and brackish water. Basically, I don't see the point of it to adjust guppies (and for sure fancy bigtailed guppies) to marine water. But I also do have to admit that I'm not sure wether you meant brackish or marine water, btw. Overhere, I've got some shortfinned guppies in brackish water without a problem. But they were acclimatized over a month.