Acclimating Discus to diff pH

Sabi
Discus- diff pH

HI there Discus lovers.

If I buy a discus from the pet store with a pH of, say 6, and my tanks pH is 7.5.
What is the best way to acclimate them? Or will the odds for surviving be too high?
Thx

capekate
HI Sabi
I'm sure you can acclimate your Discus to that level PH. Seeing that the Ph at the LFS is lower than yours, you will have to do the acclimation very slowly.
Using the usual method of adding alittle tank water to the bag and letting it sit for 20 minutes, then add alittle more tank water to the bag and continue that for at least an hour or so. But it may also help to add a few drops of Prime or any of your water conditioner that binds the ammonia, since they will have a fair amount in the bag for that long a time. You can also take out some of the water from the bag as you refill it with the tank water in order to help clean up the bag water.
Good luck with that... btw, what size tank are they going in? and what fish do you have in there for tank mates for the Discus?

~ kate

Sabi
I'm going to put them in my 67gal.
If you click here (my blog link isn't working)
and then on the 67gal thread, it shows all the fish that I have in it and what's going on. Sorry but its rather complicated to put all sown here!
But I'll be getting the Discus (hopefully) when I get that space.What do you say about the tank mates, will it worth trying or are some of the bad?

capekate
HI Sabi
I looked over your list. My only thoughts on it is that the Discus really need warm temperatures of about 84-86*. I am not sure what the temp requirments are of the fish that you already have and if they can take the higher temps that the Discus require. If you do a research and check out the temps needed on all your fish then you would be able to tell if the Discus can go with them. As far as being tankmates, your list seems to be ok if the higher temps will be ok. Most Discus tanks have either the german blue rams, cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras or the rasboras. I had angels in with mine for awhile til the angels started picking on the Discus, and so I moved them to their own tank. It wasn't serious aggression, but I wanted to separate them anyway.

~ kate

Sabi
Hmmm. I'll have to watch out for that. I'm sure the temp will be fine as my temp is currently 86. But I'll do a double check.

armadillo
Oh, and Kate? Can a discus be on its own, or is it recommended to have him in with other discus? I always assumed they were in species only tank.

Sabi, it would be so awsome if you got one. I'd looooove one but my biggest tank is a 29G.

capekate
HI Armadillo
As far as I know, Discus should not be in a tank alone. They really do need tank mates of their own kind to feel secure and comfortable. they are very social with each other and tend to stick together in times of stress, resting, even feeding times. To have one alone I think would be cruel. I am hoping that SabI thought to have more than one. I would think the very least... if you have to do it, would be to have two in a tank but more the better and of course that depends on the size of the Discus and the tank, but that goes without saying... .

~ kate

capekate
HI Armadillo
I have two in my 29 gallon tank. they are still pretty small, about 1. 3/4 inches round. They do take awhile to grow out and if you wanted Discus in your 29 gallon depending on what else you have in there, then I do not see why not. Its just when they get bigger they would need a larger tank.. :-\ So if you had any plans on getting a larger tank at some point in the future, you could have Discus, cardinal tetras, german blue rams, bolivian rams, cockatoo rams, a few other tetras and rasbora's. And that would be a real nice tank! ;D I also believe there are other species that can also go in there too, with research you would find a variety if that was what you were looking for.

~ kate

Sabi
I would agree with Kate, Arma. 29gal should be fine, even at a push for 2 adults maybe?

Kate, I was thinking of putting 2 discus in, at least for starters. They are expensive-ish, going for R149 -around 3in, here. But I hope the guy will give me 2 for R200 as he knows me and gave me discounts before. Also I was thinking it'd be better to first see how they feel and get on with the other fish? One thing else, what about hard/soft water? Do they need a specific hardness? (Hope not, as I don't know hw to test that!) Thanks Kate.

capekate
HI Sabi..
They do prefer a softer water. Usually if your PH is low, you have soft water. A higher Ph.. harder water. Your PH sounds like its at a normal range and so your hardiness is probably neither too soft or too hard. They do sell test strips for water hardiness. Maybe even the API has a test for that as well. I think starting out with two will be a good idea to see how all the fish get along. ;D

~ kate

Sabi
Thank you Kate. I will let you know when I get them or if I want to know anything else.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jake37
Replies
Views
Wraithen
  • Question
Replies
Views
H Farnsworth
Replies