Acclimating By Using Main Tank Water

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by mossman, Jun 24, 2019.

1. mossman

mossmanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +178
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have a 55 gallon planted tank that has been up and running for about 3 weeks now. It has 10 Vallesneria and six Amazon Swords. The Vallesneria are in a melting stage, but there is some growth coming back. The Swords looks as good as they did when I received them and the roots are growing quickly. I added root tabs last week and have been doing weekly 20% water changes, after which I add 5 mL of a liquid fertilizer (Aquarium Co-op product). There are currently no fish in the tank. I have 25 fish in multiple quarantine tanks that I need to transfer in the next week or so. The QTs get water changes every 2 days. I've read online that it would be a good idea to start using the water from the main tank for my quarantine tank water changes. Seems like a good way to get the new fish acclimated to the main tank conditions. However, I'm a little concerned because of the melting Vallesneria and also the amount of dissolved solids in the water (because of the fertilizers). Is this a valid concern? If it is advised to use the main tank water for water changes, it seems like I should use a very little amount of it at a time. Maybe no more than 10% of the quarantine volume at a time? The two quarantine tanks I have are 20 gallons, and I change about 1/3rd of the quarantine volume at a time, so would 2 gallons of main tank water and 4 gallons of fresh tap water be a good WC ratio?

2. oldsalt777

oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +658
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello moss...

Your quarantine tanks don't need water changes more than half the water weekly. This is because the waste material takes a few days to dissolve in the tank water to the point the fish would be affected. This way, you only get out the water change gear once per week. When you acclimate the fish, you can bag them in some of the old tank water and float the bag in the new tank, to get them used to any difference in temperature. Every few minutes, put in a little water from the new tank. You can do this over roughly 30 minutes. Then, just tip the bag and allow the fish to swim out. This way you don't transfer too much of the old tank water. A little won't hurt.

Pretty easy,

Old

3. OP
    OP
    mossman

mossmanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +178
    Experience:
    2 years
    I used some established media from another tank for one of my quarantines, but it still went through a cycle, so I was changing the water every two days in one of them. Everything has stabilized now.

The temperature in the main tank is within 1/2 degree of the quarantine tanks, so temperature acclimation isn't a concern. I'm familiar with the acclimation procedure you describe, but figured I could do it a little more gradually considering the fish are already homed and I have time. I don't want to risk rushing it and losing a fish (I already lost a redhead tapajo because I didn't realize I was going through a mini cycle). I figure why not do it gradually over the course of a week? If the main tank didn't have melting plants and fertilizer in it, then I would likely just do a quick acclimation and dump them in, but this isn't the case.

4. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,278
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Me I like to do what your asking. Is there a benefit I don’t know it’s just what I do. As you say it does help in the acclimation of the fish. I like your breakdown of water. Me I usually replace all water from qt with main tank water. This way the whole bag thing is not needed. When ready I just scoop and drop.
    Melting plants and ferts should not be a problem to new fish. Remove melting leaves and you’ll be adding ferts after the fish arrive so no difference. Good luck.

Become a Fishlore Member