Question Acclimating Betta

Sarah86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI everyone,

My tank has finally fully cycled after a long 6 weeks!! :) I’m collecting my Betta on Friday morning. I think I’ve got a pretty good idea on how to acclimate him safely but just wanted to double check I’ll be doing the right thing.

Float him in the bag for 30 minutes to allow the temperature to equalise.
Start adding small amounts of tank water to the bag every few minutes for a further 30 minutes.
Use a net to add him into the tank & don’t add any of the bag water to the tank.

Could you tell me if this is right please? Also should I leave the light turned off or put it on at this point? Should I feed him on the same day?

Many thanks :)

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Everything sounds good but if at all possible I would try to dump the water and then pour him into your hand to avoid him gettin stuck in the net

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sounds like you have it down. It's stressful for fish to be put in a new environment so I would leave the lights off. You can try feeding and see if they'll eat.

OP
Sarah86

Sarah86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Repolie said:
Sounds like you have it down. It's stressful for fish to be put in a new environment so I would leave the lights off. You can try feeding and see if they'll eat.
Thank you! So if leave the light off for the rest of the day & turn it on the next morning would that be enough time?

DylanM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
kallililly1973 said:
Everything sounds good but if at all possible I would try to dump the water and then pour him into your hand to avoid him gettin stuck in the net
You might be comfortable doing this, but for someone newer to fish keeping this seems like it could be a recipe for accidentally dropping a fish on the ground/in the sink, which would be more stressful for the fish than a net.

OP
Sarah86

Sarah86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DylanM said:
You might be comfortable doing this, but for someone newer to fish keeping this seems like it could be a recipe for accidentally dropping a fish on the ground/in the sink, which would be more stressful for the fish than a net.
Yeh I might see how I feel on the day whether I can do this safely. There will be two of us so hopefully I’ll be able to avoid the net if possible. I don’t like the idea of using it to be honest!

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sarah86 said:
Thank you! So if leave the light off for the rest of the day & turn it on the next morning would that be enough time?
That sounds fine.

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Some fish can be more sensitive to acclimation than others. Some may appreciate the light being off, and hide in the back as soon as they are released in the tank. Others may be more curious to explore their new surroundings, and will want dinner right away. Just observe him and see if he seems comfortable after you've put him in the tank, and go from there

OP
Sarah86

Sarah86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Algonquin said:
Some fish can be more sensitive to acclimation than others. Some may appreciate the light being off, and hide in the back as soon as they are released in the tank. Others may be more curious to explore their new surroundings, and will want dinner right away. Just observe him and see if he seems comfortable after you've put him in the tank, and go from there
I’ll see how he reacts then, hopefully he’ll be happily exploring & eating! :) Also forgot to ask.. I’ve got some Seachem stress guard to help him out in the first few days. Is it better to add this in before or after he’s in the tank? Thanks

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would add the Stressguard in before he's in the tank - then it will be thoroughly mixed into the water Also, you'd be adding a bit of that to the bag/cup he's in while acclimating him.

OP
Sarah86

Sarah86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Algonquin said:
I would add the Stressguard in before he's in the tank - then it will be thoroughly mixed into the water Also, you'd be adding a bit of that to the bag/cup he's in while acclimating him.
Thank you for your advice, I’ll do exactly that :)

OP
Sarah86

Sarah86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
97043E4D-D8DC-45BF-9DCF-FCF3CB707EDD.jpeg
64576943-6482-4742-9B6F-D8CB54AF410E.jpeg
4E0AC15D-E4B4-4691-80D5-82DBC2823F33.jpeg
Meet Finlay!! :) He’s settling in nicely & confidently exploring his tank. Managed to put him in with my hands & he doesn’t seem stressed at all! Keeping the lights off for now but took a couple of decent pictures :)

Guppygirl88

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah86 said:
HI everyone,

My tank has finally fully cycled after a long 6 weeks!! I’m collecting my Betta on Friday morning. I think I’ve got a pretty good idea on how to acclimate him safely but just wanted to double check I’ll be doing the right thing.

Float him in the bag for 30 minutes to allow the temperature to equalise.
Start adding small amounts of tank water to the bag every few minutes for a further 30 minutes.
Use a net to add him into the tank & don’t add any of the bag water to the tank.

Could you tell me if this is right please? Also should I leave the light turned off or put it on at this point? Should I feed him on the same day?

Many thanks
When you pick your Betta up at the pet store ask them to change the water in his cup before you take him home then you don't have to worry about have to get him out. They will act like they can't - but they can,they won't want to seem like jerks - so they will just stand your ground Welcome to fishlore I hope all your returns are happy ones P.s It is a terrible idea to touch your fish with your hands they may feel smooth to you but to a delicate slimecoat it is a terrible idea look at your skin under a magnifying glass.

OP
Sarah86

Sarah86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Guppygirl88 said:
When you pick your Betta up at the pet store ask them to change the water in his cup before you take him home then you don't have to worry about have to get him out. They will act like they can't - but they can,they won't want to seem like jerks - so they will just stand your ground Welcome to fishlore I hope all your returns are happy ones P.s It is a terrible idea to touch your fish with your hands they may feel smooth to you but to a delicate slimecoat it is a terrible idea look at your skin under a magnifying glass.
Thanks for the welcome :) My Betta is in his tank & settling well. He’s eaten & doesn’t seem stressed at all thankfully. I was advised by another member to pour him into my hand rather than a net to avoid him getting trapped so I did it that way. Was only for a split second though so hopefully he’ll be fine

New Threads