Acclimating A Snail

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Morpheus1967, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +636
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    So I have never had a snail before, but want to pick up a nerite snail for my 15 gallon planted betta tank. Do you acclimate these guys as you would a fish? And when I put him in the tank, do I just set him on the substrate? Anything in particular I should look for when picking one out?

2. upinak

upinakValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +53
    Experience:
    Just started
    Nope! But if you want too, do the norm for introducing a new fish... little water to the bag for 15 minutes and BAM. I have never had a snail die yet.

BUT, I would change the water before adding. 25% at least. the higher the water harness, the better a snail will survive.

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,140
    Experience:
    2 years
    I acclimate everything for 30 minutes 10 minute intervals adding a little water every 10 minutes then dump the water in a bucket with a net over it and set em in the tank without any fish store water... you can set him on the substrate close to the glass and he will probably get moving shortly after being set in

4. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,316
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Lol acclimating now! 1279B246-30EB-4E1A-97E0-9573D7AC0F48. Going into my 15 shrimp tank first than a month from now will move them into my 45 .

5. upinak

Ratings:
    +53
    Experience:
    Just started
    @88

AWWWWWW Love my snails. I have the shrimp (15 and some berried), the same two you snails you have, and two rabbits. I am hoping the rabbits breed soon.

6. OP
    OP
    Morpheus1967

Ratings:
    +636
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Let me ask you guys this. My avatar is the tank he is going in. The fake rocks you see there are actually two different rocks, on sitting on the other. But it doesn't take much to move the top one. I have not been worried about it, because unless my betta runs into it, it's not going to move. This thing is covered in algae, so I know the snail will eventually find his way there. Do you think I need to fasten the top to the bottom somehow? Basically, do you think the snail will be able to move it lol?

7. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,316
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Snail are light so if they can move it it’s got to be light. I don’t think it will hurt the snail if it falls. Also don’t think the snails going to move it.

8. upinak

Ratings:
    +53
    Experience:
    Just started
    If your betta can move it, all you can do is check to see what happens? They might be able to move it out of the way trying to get into a crack. Keep an eye on it for a few days. Let them wander over it. Are you snails really large?

9. OP
    OP
    Morpheus1967

Ratings:
    +636
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I haven't purchased one yet! Wanted to ask questions before I purchased. The betta has never moved it, but I am sure he has never run in to it. I envision the snail climbing all over it.

10. upinak

Ratings:
    +53
    Experience:
    Just started
    Get two if you have enough biofilm. I like to watch them grow, so find smaller ones. Good luck!

Become a Fishlore Member