Accidentally Used Fertilizer In New Tank That Is Starting To Cycle With Fish!!! Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by TheBettaSushi, Jan 18, 2019.

1. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Hey all! I just setup a new tank, added java fern, Anubias Nana, and some manzanita driftwood with christmas moss and accidentally dosed with seachem flourish thinking it was seachem prime!!!! I have two zebra danios to help cycle the tank per my LFS. What do I do?

Tank: 6 gal Fluval Edge
    Water perameters: n/a for now as I just put in the fish today.
    Water: I use R/O purified drinking water (have been for years with another tank I had that housed a betta and ADF... both passed away 3 years after I got them). Never used replenish or equilibrium from seachem but recently learned that I should when using R/O water.

If someone could help me immediately, it would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Addijg the ferts isn't an issue to me.
    Only thing is Prime is needed to "protect" the fish in. I'd do a partial waterchange amd add Prime then.

3. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Did you also put in Prime when you realized your mistake? If not, do that right away. I doubt putting Flourish in will be an issue, but let’s see what those with more experience say.
    Edited to add: And look at that: Those with more experience got here while I was typing!

4. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I used prime when I added water to the tank before the fish. Should I change the water now or can I just dose it with prime and wait for a partial water change tomorrow with prime?

5. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

But you thought you were adding Prime now? Was it the next dose then?

6. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

No I didn’t... and yes, so glad I found this site! I literally have to be re-taught because it’s been years since I cycled a tank.

I used prime days ago when I setup my tank. I needed to add more water since I was putting in my manzanita with moss and since I’m using RO water (my tap has high ph and ammonia) I used flourish instead of prime! It wasn’t a lot of it but for a 6 gal it has me worried.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2019
  7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Think there isn't much to worry about then.
    It doesn't mess with the cycle or so.
    As long as you add the recommended Prime when it is needed.

8. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Ok great. I dosed with prime again just now (just in case). I heard that overdosing doesn’t do any harm. Thanks so much. Now if I can only remember when to do water changes during the cycling process... it’s been a while since I’ve done this. I’m still a rookie!

9. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

In fact do no / as few waterchanges as possible while cycling. The bacteria need the pollution to start growing.

10. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

If you used the standard dosing for Prime, it’s not that different from that for Flourish - Prime is 5 ml for fifty, Flourish is 5 for sixty.
    If you’re using r/o water, is it necessary to treat the water with Prime? I mean, you probably would anyway to protect the fish during fish-in cycling, but does the water itself need to be treated? No experience with r/o, just wondering.

11. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Great. Thanks! Also, if you can help me with another additive since we’re here, that would be wonderful... I was using microbacter7 everyday (8 days of dosing) before I got the fish (got the fish today and dosed today) do I still need to use bacter7? Or is that too much already?

That’s actually a really great question and I’m not sure. Everyone has told me to use it regardless of what water I use since any water can have chlorine which isn’t good for the fish. This answer coming from every fish store I go to. I’ve been using ro water for 3 years and today, I was educated about how bad RO water is because it lacks buffers and minerals. I now have to use another additive to balance the RO water that goes into my tank (specifically seachem equilibrium since I have plants). I’d love to use tap water but my ph is high and I have ammonia... RO is the only option I have apparently unless I want to dose with prime every day for the life of my fish. If someone has a better solution, I’m open to learn about it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2019
  12. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I have specific thoughts on these "starters". In my opinion / my knowledge is that they don't seed a tank but keep ammonia / nitrites low as long as the natiral bacteria aren't there. Using prime is in fact protects the fish against the same issue.

It won't be too much, but I doubt it does much as well.

Checking ammonia amd nitrites constantly IS important.

13. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Prime is my go to. That’s the only thing I’ve ever used. Sometimes I overdose but it’s never hurt anything in my previous tank. The bacter7 was suggested by a fish store owner and felt like it would be good as I was cycling without fish at first (it obviously didn’t get me anywhere. I wasted over a week with just that and fish food). I just want to get this tank up and running with thriving plants and without killing the fish I have in there now. But, sometimes I just get stumped on what to do so thanks for the info. I just learned that I have to use something to add to my water since I use RO water (3 years later)! I learn something new every day! I just hope my tank doesn’t get out of control during this process.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  14. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

That is the way we cycle our tanks here (FFAP-cycling = Fish Food and Patience).
    I am not a fan of fish in cycles but okay.

Indeed RO water needs remineralizing cause it will cause osmotic issues if not.
    No experiences with that btw

Good luck with your tank.

15. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Just got an email reply back from seachem and they said that prime isn’t needed with RO water but to keep on hand in case it’s needed. I’ve been dosing prime for years... oops! Thankfully it doesn’t hurt anything to use it.

Don’t like the fish in cycle either but for some reason the food method wasn’t working. It just clouded the tank for over a week with no readings. It would have taken a lot longer than a month to get it cycled. It could have been that the plants were sucking up the ammonia before it had a chance to process? I have no idea. Anyway. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

16. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

It needs 3 weeks

17. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

What are your exact tap parameters? They might not be as bad as you think, and you could save a lot of money by using tap water.

18. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Ammonia is between .50-1.0ppm every time I have tested and pH is 8.2.

19. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

That should be fine if your cycle is properly established. Prime will detox the ammonia for 24 hours, which should be enough time for your cycle to eat it up. pH is also generally not a concern, as fish are pretty adaptable. They have a preferred pH range, but most are still fine outside of that.

So I'd say once your cycle is set, slowly switch over to tap water. I'd also try leaving some tap water in a bowl for 24 hours then test it again. You may find that your pH drops after your water sits.

20. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I don’t mind using RO water since I get 16 gallons for about $5 which lasts me about 11 weeks for a 6 gal tank and I will start using seachem equilibrium since I didn’t know I needed it up until yesterday. I have a cat that likes to go into everything. It’s impossible for me to keep anything in open spaces. I live in Southern California and our water bill is extremely high every month so buying gallons of water is much more cost effective in the long run for me and I have less doubts about using it. Not to mention, the tap water is never consistent and always get fluctuated readings, especially on ammonia... I tested it months ago and my ammonia was at 2ppm. I tested yesterday morning and it was at .50ppm but in the evening it was at 1ppm. I took my tap to my LFS this morning and they came back with a reading of 2ppm. Also, ’ve tried doing what you just mentioned before about leaving the water out to sit with no dramatic results. I would like to get a amazon puffer once my tank has been established for a while and I have read that they’re really sensitive to ph. I test every gallon of RO water I get before I put it in the tank and the readings have always been consistent (actually, they’re always exactly the same since I only get the same brand every time) so that gives me some peace of mind.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019