Accidentally Put Arm With Sunscreen Into Aquarium Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Zypher023, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Zypher023Valued MemberMember

So I guess this is a beginner question because I made a n00b mistake. I use a lot of Vaseline intensive care aloe lotion. I’m usually so so good and rinsing off my hands and arms really well under warm water before doing any tank maintenance, and since last June I haven’t had any issues.

Well I had washed my hands 10x over and I don’t think I touched my arm, like 90% sure, then I stuck it all the way in to even out gravel in my 3.4 gal. *face palm*

I had emptied the tank this morning, and was letting the filter run full blast before I move a baby betta to it.

So now I don’t know if it’s safe, but there’s nothing in it at the moment to know for sure. I sprayed my arm with Alba Bontanical sunscreen about 6-7 hours ago. I remembered AFTER I evened the gravel out and pulled my arm out...ugh.

Anyone ever have done this? Any thoughts, I already pulled out the fake plants and ornaments and rinsed them in treated tap water. The gravel was still dirty so I siphoned almost all the water out. I have a HOB filter that wasn’t running, and a heater. I don’t want to ruin the bacteria in the gravel but I feel like I maybe need to rinse it and the tank and the heater. Thoughts? Thank you!

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

All you need to do is to run alot of carbon. carbon filters impurites and poisons from the water.

3. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I would do a water change just to be safe.

4. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

so first off.....so unfair its warm enough for sunscreen....it just hit 60 here.

but i digress. you should be fine with a water change. the carbon in your HOB will do nothing for the residue that may have come off in the water as carbon only works to remove tannins, phenols, chloramines and chlorine.

Your tank will be fine.

5. Zypher023Valued MemberMember

Ugh already been in the high 80s in Austin, Texas. I‘ve been dog walking for a month and I’m already getting tan lines!!!! Ridiculous. Anyway that’s when I realized I wasn’t wearing suntan lotion because it was freaking April...so I bought some...lol.

I digress as well...I read on some reef forums that carbon can help, but I figured it wouldn’t help the residue so it all seemed questionable. I had added Prime which sometimes has left a residue I noticed, but I saw a residue on the water immediately after removing my arm and that’s when I muttered some curse words...no idea if it was there before.

I’ll fill it back up and add a second filter cartridge to the HOB. I’ll monitor the baby...he’s a few months old but isn’t really growing. He used to be in this tank but was harassing the mystery snails 5x his size, so he lived in a breeder box floating in it for a while and then now a well established 1 gallon quarantine when that freed up, and it’s been 2 weeks and I want him out of it. Mystery snails moved to the newer 10 gallon last night. Anyway the water quality is almost identical so fingers crossed.

Thank you all!!

6. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

so the residue from prime (hate that stuff) is a combination of proteins which with surface skimming will go away, the residue from your golden goddess tanning lotion is oil which also has proteins in it but will go away with agitation and water changes. The carbon filtration is a cool gimmick the industry continues to sell but it doesnt really do a whole lot for filtration. Im not saying it doesnt have a function but it is like peeing in the ocean to raise salinity.

7. RAM3234New MemberMember

Stop complaining. I live in Minnesota and it is April. We just had a big snowstorm. -4 degrees:(

8. Zypher023Valued MemberMember

Yikes! I feel your pain. I lived in Michigan until I was 22. Brrrrrrr...

9. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

HA! Missed Manitoba!! But Saskatchewan got clobbered too. We hit 16c today. FINALLY spring!

10. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

There's a chance I might sound stupid here, but most sunscreen is waterproof and shouldn't even mix with the water. If anything it should just float on top of the water. If you do notice stuff floating on top, a good trick to get it out it laying a paper towel on top of the water. (if you haven't heard that already) Anyway, if I were in your position, I wouldn't worry at all.

11. Zypher023Valued MemberMember

I thought about that too actually. It said “water resistant for 80 minutes”. So I don’t know what happens if you weren’t swimming or getting wet? I was just walking. Either way I filled and siphoned the tank I think 3 times because the mystery snails had made such a dang mess in there. It’s clean now and baby Groot has a big home now.

36eeec7efd95d971864acac86d5c5193.jpg

12. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Well after 80 minutes some soaks into your skin, and the rest is washed off. Even though it's washed off, it shouldn't actually mix with water. Love the tank :)

13. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Howdy from Houston, TX where we had a 78 degree absolutely beautiful Spring day! I agree with the paper towel trick. It will soak up anything floating on top.

14. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I guess I'm the only person who likes long, cold winters.

15. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I'm more of a long, hot summer kind of person.

16. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I'm no romantic, but winter, for me, gives a sense of surrealism and a certain moodiness to a place. The holiday season wouldn't feel right without cold and snow. However, it's definitely hard to beat a couple of ice cold beers or Bloody Marys, while sitting under the canopy of a street side cafe on a hot summer day. It's the simple things like that I appreciate the most.

Apologies for the derailment OP, but I figured by now that you already got your answer. A 3.4g really is nothing difficult to do another complete water change. If it was a much larger aquarium, I could understand not wanting to do a second one right after just finishing the first. That's what I would have done, personally.

17. Zypher023Valued MemberMember

Haha no worries. I almost completely drained it 2 more times because of this plus there was still a lot of snail poo in there, 3 drains total. Should be good. Didn’t rinse it or anything. All treated tap water.

The holidays are very odd without snow, especially when you grew up WITH snow. But there is something great about an 80 degree night when it’s pitch black after it was 102 all day

18. Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

I have both!

My home had snow last week.

My work rental was 80 today.

Only 4 hours apart.

But elevation makes a huge difference.

HAPPY SPRING to all of my fishlore friends.

19. Zypher023Valued MemberMember

He’s been in there for over 9 hours and is doing just fine. All seems to be well!

20. Zypher023Valued MemberMember

Yup he’s still going strong. Thank you everyone!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice