Accidentally Got Aquarium Water In My Mouth

Blackrose4mn

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
Points
3
So was changing tank and out new water in and some safestart Aquarian drops in it. When I went to “pour “ fish into tank from temporary bowl some water splashed and got some in mouth. I don’t think I swallowed any but I spit spit spit wiped mouth and then rinsed mouth several time with cold water (Aquafina) anyways I’m a hypochondria so I’m all scared I’m gonna drop dead from getting some old and new water on my mouth even though poison control said I should be okay. Help!?!?
 

DoraCory

Valued Member
Messages
206
Reaction score
153
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Are you really a fish keeper if you haven't accidentally drank a bit of tank water?

All joking aside, you'll be fine.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Blackrose4mn

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Thanks. I just keep gold fish lol and no haven’t got in any mouth before. I must be doing something right thought because they just keep growing and not dying. Probably going to need a bigger tank eventually lol

Basic goldfish lol
 

Attachments

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,536
Reaction score
2,897
Points
348
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure about goldfish, if they are commets, they will need a bigger tank eventually. I've definitely had some water get into my mouth, more than a couple drops lol. It's gross, but I'm still kicking! No horrible symptoms from it, no worries.

I'm a pro at starting a siphon without sucking on the end of the hose now haha, so it hasn't happened in a long time, but I've certainly had fish water in my mouth before.
 

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Messages
1,190
Reaction score
1,892
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you actually call Poison Control about this? Better put them on speed dial because this won't be the last time it happens.

Now, when you manage to get a fish into your mouth, then I'd start to worry...:)

@angelcraze , I'm not sure that explaining this is live bacteria rather than chemicals will further the cause of getting the OP to feel calmer...:)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Blackrose4mn

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Not sure about goldfish, if they are commets, they will need a bigger tank eventually. I've definitely had some water get into my mouth, more than a couple drops lol. It's gross, but I'm still kicking! No horrible symptoms from it, no worries.

I'm a pro at starting a siphon without sucking on the end of the hose now haha, so it hasn't happened in a long time, but I've certainly had fish water in my mouth before.
Yeah if they get as big as our friends gold fish I will definitely need a bigger thank. I only have a 10 gallon and with 5 plus one of those little algae sucker fish things I think I need at least a 20. I am so clueless about the siphon thing. I didn’t know people actually did that lol. I just empty water and add new water. You are all professionals lol. I assumed since the bottles had nothing about warnings and poisoning I figured I was safe but my anxiety always goes right to the worse. I did error. I had one fish that somehow got out of tank from the air bubbles over night so fixed that fast. :(

Did you actually call Poison Control about this? Better put them speed dial because this won't be the last time it happens.

Now, when you manage to get a fish into your mouth, then I'd start to worry...:)

@angelcraze , I'm not sure that explaining this is live bacteria rather than chemicals will further the cause of getting the OP to feel calmer...:)
I understand this may seem funny to some of you. But yes I’ve had fish before and never got fish water in my mouth before. And yes I have severe anxiety so I did call them. What does OP stand for? I believe I read a thread about making new members feels welcomed but it’s ok. I don’t mind being made fun of. I was just wondering about the chemicals that’s all. No I don’t anticipate ever having a fish in my mouth unless it’s fried haha
 

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Messages
1,190
Reaction score
1,892
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
I understand this may seem funny to some of you. But yes I’ve had fish before and never got fish water in my mouth before. And yes I have severe anxiety so I did call them. What does OP stand for? I believe I read a thread about making new members feels welcomed but it’s ok. I don’t mind being made fun of. I was just wondering about the chemicals that’s all. No I don’t anticipate ever having a fish in my mouth unless it’s fried haha
Sorry, didn't want you to feel you were being mocked; laughter is the best medicine and I was hoping to get a smile to replace the worry. I have carelessly sucked guppy fry into my mouth when I got distracted while changing water...I have been smacked in the face by leaping fish while leaning over a large, deep tank to work in it...on one of those occasions the fish managed to land in my shirt collar. When I stood up it found its way all the way down to my waist; only my belt prevented that one from being a very intimate adventure. :)

By the way, OP is Original Poster.
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,536
Reaction score
2,897
Points
348
Experience
More than 10 years
@angelcraze , I'm not sure that explaining this is live bacteria rather than chemicals will further the cause of getting the OP to feel calmer...:)
Lol, I thought about that too! What if I say good bacteria?

I think it's cute funny. Just because I can't count the amount of fish water I've probably swallowed in 10 or more years! We are all well intentioned here for the most part, I don't see any mocking, that's for sure! Welcome to FL, I'm sure you will find the site and members helpful with anything you should encounter.

I've been smacked in the face before by a leaping platy! Right in the forehead! I was all confused with what happened lol, I had no idea they could jump that high lol!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

Blackrose4mn

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Sorry, didn't want you to feel you were being mocked; laughter is the best medicine and I was hoping to get a smile to replace the worry. I have carelessly sucked guppy fry into my mouth when I got distracted while changing water...I have been smacked in the face by leaping fish while leaning over a large, deep tank to work in it...on one of those occasions the fish managed to land in my shirt collar. When I stood up it found its way all the way down to my waist; only my belt prevented that one from being a very intimate adventure. :)

By the way, OP is Original Poster.
Thank you. Yes laughter is best medicine. I just didn’t know if I was being mocked lol Does sound like you have had your share of experiences haha. Thanks for making me smile. I did need it. I feel better now. I think
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,536
Reaction score
2,897
Points
348
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah if they get as big as our friends gold fish I will definitely need a bigger thank. I only have a 10 gallon and with 5 plus one of those little algae sucker fish things I think I need at least a 20. I am so clueless about the siphon thing. I didn’t know people actually did that lol. I just empty water and add new water. You are all professionals lol. I assumed since the bottles had nothing about warnings and poisoning I figured I was safe but my anxiety always goes right to the worse. I did error. I had one fish that somehow got out of tank from the air bubbles over night so fixed that fast. :(
Your tank looked bigger. Yeah, you will need a larger tank, I think maybe bigger than 20 gallons....is it a common pleco? I siphon the muck at the bottom of the tank when I water change. To start a siphon, I do this

And no worries, I've had severe anxiety too, it's not funny at all and not easy to control. I hope you start feeling better soon and get a handle on that anxiety so it doesn't run your life. Don't let it. It's all in the mind, your thoughts running away with you.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17

Blackrose4mn

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
Points
3
I still don't think that sweetens the pot much...:)
The bacteria stuff really didn’t worry me. I just thought the chemical list was some toxic stuff but apparently I was wrong. Lol

Your tank looked bigger. Yeah, you will need a larger tank, I think maybe bigger than 20 gallons....is it a common pleco? I siphon the muck at the bottom of the tank when I water change. To start a siphon, I do this
Yes common pleco. And yes probably bigger than 20. Probably a 100 gallon at least lol the way they are growing.

Lol, I thought about that too! What if I say good bacteria?

I think it's cute funny. Just because I can't count the amount of fish water I've probably swallowed in 10 or more years! We are all well intentioned here for the most part, I don't see any mocking, that's for sure! Welcome to FL, I'm sure you will find the site and members helpful with anything you should encounter.

I've been smacked in the face before by a leaping platy! Right in the forehead! I was all confused with what happened lol, I had no idea they could jump that high lol!
I just take things too serious. I need to learn to relax and stop worrying too much haha
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,950
Reaction score
7,645
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
I have to think anyone that has been in this hobby for any length of time has gotten tank water in their mouth and some of us more than once. You can't see me but I am holding my hand up :D

I am glad we managed to ease your mind about this. :)
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom