Accidentally Fed Expired Food.

MHansen12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Simple. Found some grammarus shrimp in my food cabinet so I fed my 2 BPs a healthy amount of them. They smelled and looked normal but the expiration date was 2015 and I noticed I had already opened it . Should they be fine or should i be worried?

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's probably fine. If they were stored properly and didn't get wet or anything then bacteria probably didn't multiply in them.

MHansen12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nope! If it smelled fine and the fish ate it then it can't be that bad
Sorry completely irrelevant but since I bought my BN pleco, it literally hasn't touched the algae in my tank. Any reason? I've had it for a good month. The back wall of my aquarium is completely covered in green algae.

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Simple. Found some grammarus shrimp in my food cabinet so I fed my 2 BPs a healthy amount of them. They smelled and looked normal but the expiration date was 2015 and I noticed I had already opened it . Should they be fine or should i be worried?
I wouldn't worry about it - no big deal!

MHansen12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't worry about it - no big deal!
I was talking about my pleco not eating algae . He hasn't touched any algae in my tank for about a month, and my back wall is covered in algae.

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry completely irrelevant but since I bought my BN pleco, it literally hasn't touched the algae in my tank. Any reason? I've had it for a good month. The back wall of my aquarium is completely covered in green algae.
Have you been feeding the pleco?

TwoHedWlf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For one thing they tend to be more scavengers than grazers once they mature.

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry! I think we were posting at the same time earlier and I never saw your post about the bn pleco... How long have you had it? They tend to not like light, especially when you first get them. They'll be more active at night/dark. Eventually, as they get more accustomed to the tank, they'll come out more during the day, but they don't always clean the glass.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The BN Pleco needs a meatier diet, they don't just eat algae. They also need wood fibre in their diet so be sure to get a piece of driftwood for your tank!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom