Accidentally Fed Expired Food.

MHansen12

Active Member
Member
Messages
141
Reaction score
16
Experience
1 year
Simple. Found some grammarus shrimp in my food cabinet so I fed my 2 BPs a healthy amount of them. They smelled and looked normal but the expiration date was 2015 and I noticed I had already opened it . Should they be fine or should I be worried?
 

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,979
Reaction score
3,571
Experience
2 years
It's probably fine. If they were stored properly and didn't get wet or anything then bacteria probably didn't multiply in them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
MHansen12

MHansen12

Active Member
Member
Messages
141
Reaction score
16
Experience
1 year
Aquaphobia said:
It's probably fine. If they were stored properly and didn't get wet or anything then bacteria probably didn't multiply in them.
Do you want a picture of the food? It's still in the garbage
 

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,979
Reaction score
3,571
Experience
2 years
Nope! If it smelled fine and the fish ate it then it can't be that bad
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
MHansen12

MHansen12

Active Member
Member
Messages
141
Reaction score
16
Experience
1 year
Aquaphobia said:
Nope! If it smelled fine and the fish ate it then it can't be that bad
Sorry completely irrelevant but since I bought my BN pleco, it literally hasn't touched the algae in my tank. Any reason? I've had it for a good month. The back wall of my aquarium is completely covered in green algae.
 

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't worry about it - no big deal!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
MHansen12

MHansen12

Active Member
Member
Messages
141
Reaction score
16
Experience
1 year
JeffK said:
I wouldn't worry about it - no big deal!
Thanks, can you read my reply on my pleco just above this?
 

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
MHansen12 said:
Simple. Found some grammarus shrimp in my food cabinet so I fed my 2 BPs a healthy amount of them. They smelled and looked normal but the expiration date was 2015 and I noticed I had already opened it . Should they be fine or should I be worried?
I wouldn't worry about it - no big deal!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
MHansen12

MHansen12

Active Member
Member
Messages
141
Reaction score
16
Experience
1 year
JeffK said:
I wouldn't worry about it - no big deal!
I was talking about my pleco not eating algae . He hasn't touched any algae in my tank for about a month, and my back wall is covered in algae.
 

FishFish221

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,287
Reaction score
1,500
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
3 years
MHansen12 said:
Sorry completely irrelevant but since I bought my BN pleco, it literally hasn't touched the algae in my tank. Any reason? I've had it for a good month. The back wall of my aquarium is completely covered in green algae.
Have you been feeding the pleco?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
MHansen12

MHansen12

Active Member
Member
Messages
141
Reaction score
16
Experience
1 year
FishFish221 said:
Have you been feeding the pleco?
Algae wafers and he eats those, but recently I've only fed him like once per week to encourage exploring the tank and eating the algae. He's usually everywhere in the tank except the glass
 

TwoHedWlf

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,870
Reaction score
1,225
Location
Wellington, NZ
Experience
More than 10 years
MHansen12 said:
Sorry completely irrelevant but since I bought my BN pleco, it literally hasn't touched the algae in my tank. Any reason? I've had it for a good month. The back wall of my aquarium is completely covered in green algae.
For one thing they tend to be more scavengers than grazers once they mature.
 

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry! I think we were posting at the same time earlier and I never saw your post about the bn pleco... How long have you had it? They tend to not like light, especially when you first get them. They'll be more active at night/dark. Eventually, as they get more accustomed to the tank, they'll come out more during the day, but they don't always clean the glass.
 

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,979
Reaction score
3,571
Experience
2 years
MHansen12 said:
Sorry completely irrelevant but since I bought my BN pleco, it literally hasn't touched the algae in my tank. Any reason? I've had it for a good month. The back wall of my aquarium is completely covered in green algae.
The BN Pleco needs a meatier diet, they don't just eat algae. They also need wood fibre in their diet so be sure to get a piece of driftwood for your tank!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
MHansen12

MHansen12

Active Member
Member
Messages
141
Reaction score
16
Experience
1 year
Aquaphobia said:
The BN Pleco needs a meatier diet, they don't just eat algae. They also need wood fibre in their diet so be sure to get a piece of driftwood for your tank!
Oh sorry, I have 3 pieces of nice sized Manzanita in the tank, he hardly goes on it.
 

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,979
Reaction score
3,571
Experience
2 years
Manzanita is a super hard wood, even my chinchillas have difficulty chewing on it. Can you get something a little softer?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
MHansen12

MHansen12

Active Member
Member
Messages
141
Reaction score
16
Experience
1 year
Aquaphobia said:
Manzanita is a super hard wood, even my chinchillas have difficulty chewing on it. Can you get something a little softer?
I have a piece of mopanI in my cabinet, but it constantly leaks tannins. Nonstop. I've tried everything. It's zoo med, I heard that thing ever stops leaking
 

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,979
Reaction score
3,571
Experience
2 years
MopanI is prone to leaking a lot of tannins. If not wood then I know that Repashy makes a product specifically for Plecos that contains wood fibre!
 

TwoHedWlf

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,870
Reaction score
1,225
Location
Wellington, NZ
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquaphobia said:
MopanI is prone to leaking a lot of tannins. If not wood then I know that Repashy makes a product specifically for Plecos that contains wood fibre!
Most pleco food does.
 

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,979
Reaction score
3,571
Experience
2 years
Oh, I hadn't noticed it in the ingredients. I'll have to take a second look at mine!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
210
Guests online
2,263
Total visitors
2,473

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom