5 Gallon Tank Accidentally crushed part of ramshorn's shell, help!

Pandurs

I was rescaping my betta's tank and went to resuction the heater and I heard a crack, like egg shells breaking. Turns out it was my ramshorn that had snuck behind there, and the shell by its foot/the opening had been what had broken. There's still a bit of of the spiral left, but is thus awesome little guy doomed or can I save him some how?

20210924_155124.jpg
The green square is a wafer that has calcium carbonate, wheat, spinach, water, egg yolk, and garlic. I've moved it closer to him after the photo and he seems to be munching away okay.

The betta that he is housed with isn't aggressive towards him or his apple snail roommate thankfully, and she has not interest in their food.

Blacksheep1

I believe you can repair a shell with plastic bags , cut to size , and the aquatic safe super glue ( cyanoacrylate) but not letting the glue enter the shell , outside only ! I can’t fully tell from the photo where on the shell the issue is as to whether this would work or not. If it’s a small chip that’s missing near his foot he can probably repair it himself with time. Do you add any calcium supplements to your water column ? It’s good he’s eating though !

StarGirl

I dont think you will be able to fix him unfortunately. :( It looks pretty bad.

Blacksheep1

I’ve spent about 5 minutes trying to work out the photo! Is it his bottom half that’s gone ?

StarGirl

Is the white parts his shell or exposed body?

Pandurs

I believe you can repair a shell with plastic bags , cut to size , and the aquatic safe super glue ( cyanoacrylate) but not letting the glue enter the shell , outside only ! I can’t fully tell from the photo where on the shell the issue is as to whether this would work or not. If it’s a small chip that’s missing near his foot he can probably repair it himself with time. Do you add any calcium supplements to your water column ? It’s good he’s eating though !
I think this is past a small chip, as the lip of the shell had broken off. I tried to inspect him again and he's a bit slimy, so I'm assuming he's attempting to heal himself somehow? He also retracted like he was hiding from a predator when I scooped him up. The rest of his shell doesn't seem to be damaged, such as cracked down the middle/highpoint, so that is pleasing.

I do not add calcium due to our city water being more on the harder side, so I feed the snails the wafers and sometimes spinach. I'm also afraid to add more calcium to the bettas' water in case it upsets the balance.

Blacksheep1

That’s what I was wondering !? If it’s a crack it can be repaired , if it’s the bottom of the shell and not too much is gone then he can repair it himself if not too severe. If he’s eating surely that’s a good sign …

Pandurs

I’ve spent about 5 minutes trying to work out the photo! Is it his bottom half that’s gone ?
Yes, the opening to his shell.
The white is his shell, his body is dark brown.

Blacksheep1

I think this is past a small chip, as the lip of the shell had broken off. I tried to inspect him again and he's a bit slimy, so I'm assuming he's attempting to heal himself somehow? He also retracted like he was hiding from a predator when I scooped him up. The rest of his shell doesn't seem to be damaged, such as cracked down the middle/highpoint, so that is pleasing.

I do not add calcium due to our city water being more on the harder side, so I feed the snails the wafers and sometimes spinach. I'm also afraid to add more calcium to the bettas' water in case it upsets the balance.
He will retract if handled . If he’s acting normal just leave him be and hopefully he can repair on his own, there should be enough calcium in his food to help , but maybe a tiny pinch of prepared crushed egg shells might help him along. Just rinse then boil egg shells for 5 mins , peel out the membrane and crush to a fine powder. There’s not much help you can do for that part of the shell I think , so just see how he goes and keep a close eye on him. I hope he makes it .

StarGirl

I would say he will either make it or not. I dont think there is much you can do except give him good food like you are already. You could keep the tank a little cleaner by doing a extra water change or something.

Blacksheep1

I think this is past a small chip, as the lip of the shell had broken off.
This is actually the easiest part for the snail to repair by himself as long as it’s not too severe and he has enough calcium available to do so
I agree with stargirl on the water change , it’s always a good call to help any injury. Fingers crossed he makes it to repair that pretty shell.

Pandurs

He will retract if handled . If he’s acting normal just leave him be and hopefully he can repair on his own, there should be enough calcium in his food to help , but maybe a tiny pinch of prepared crushed egg shells might help him along. Just rinse then boil egg shells for 5 mins , peel out the membrane and crush to a fine powder. There’s not much help you can do for that part of the shell I think , so just see how he goes and keep a close eye on him. I hope he makes it .

I would say he will either make it or not. I dont think there is much you can do except give him good food like you are already. You could keep the tank a little cleaner by doing a extra water change or something.

This is actually the easiest part for the snail to repair by himself as long as it’s not too severe and he has enough calcium available to do so
I agree with stargirl on the water change , it’s always a good call to help any injury. Fingers crossed he makes it to repair that pretty shell.
Thank you both so much! I'll give the egg shells a try for sure. He's just a common pest snail from some plants I had gotten forever ago, but he's quite the character in his own right that I've gotten quite attached. Hopefully he stays in the perch I've put him in, but I doubt it.

StarGirl

Good luck! I hope he makes it! :)

Blacksheep1

Thank you both so much! I'll give the egg shells a try for sure. He's just a common pest snail from some plants I had gotten forever ago, but he's quite the character in his own right that I've gotten quite attached. Hopefully he stays in the perch I've put him in, but I doubt it.
You’re more than welcome , glad to be of some help. I actually really enjoy my snails too and some of mine have damaged shells but carry on just fine.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks you can post a picture of him healthy and repairing ❤️

Pandurs

You’re more than welcome , glad to be of some help. I actually really enjoy my snails too and some of mine have damaged shells but carry on just fine.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks you can post a picture of him healthy and repairing ❤️
I definitely will! Thank you again!

Blacksheep1

Oh I forgot to say , once you’ve boiled the egg shells for 5 -10 mins and removed the membrane from the inside ( it’ll spoil your water if you don’t ) drain and let them steam dry for a few minutes as it’ll help you crush them easier , I use a pestle and mortar but easily done in a bowl with something heavy, like a rolling pin. You can then store in a zip lock bag for up to 6 months when dry to add a pinch when needed. Hope this helps !

Pandurs

I want to thank you both again for reaching out to help, unfortunately the little guy didn't make it. When I went to check on him after getting home from work, he had shriveled up and is unresponsive. When I inspected him further, more of his shell had broken off than I initially thought. Over the course of the couple days he had no interest in eating, so it's not that much surprise that he would pass away... though I am disappointed to say the least.

StarGirl

Aw so sorry. Poor snail. :(

Pandurs

Aw so sorry. Poor snail. :(
He will be missed, but not forgotten. He was named Mary Poppins due to him floating up to the surface, and then gracefully floating back down like Mary flying with her parasol.

Blacksheep1

Aw Pandurs im so sorry to hear that. Sometimes there’s just nothing that helps no matter how much you try. Mary poppins is a fab name ! Rip little dude ❤️

DLoder

Very sorry to hear about your little guy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demonskid
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
Replies
Views
_Sara_
  • CollegeCryptid
  • Snails