Accidentally bought fish, overstocked??

strongpaige24
I know the title seems weird but I really did buy fish I didn't mean to buy. I have a 10 gallon tank that's finishing cycling and I planned to introduce tankmates before I got the Betta so he wouldn't feel like new fish were invading his territory. I was originally thinking Harlequin Rasboras, so I was researching prices, but thought it would be safer to go with a cherry shrimp. Problem is, I used the same site to buy the shrimp as I was researching the Rasboras. So in the end I accidentally bought them both. Any advice for keeping them or is a it a bad idea altogether?
9 cherry shrimp
5 Harlequin Rasboras (low amount I know but wanted to keep bioload low)
1 Betta that I have not gotten yet

Betta'sAnonymous
Probably be ok, shrimp have a pretty small bio-load. Plus, their babies will give the betta something to hunt.

StinkyLoaf
Welcome to Fishlore!

I’d say it’s best not to get the betta now. If filtration is good then the tank would still be “socially overstocked.”

Overall the tank looks great. Everything looks and feels natural. Are those plants live?

strongpaige24
StinkyLoaf said:
Welcome to Fishlore!

I’d say it’s best not to get the betta now. If filtration is good then the tank would still be “socially overstocked.”

Overall the tank looks great. Everything looks and feels natural. Are those plants live?
Yep they are live plants. Thought it would be better on Betta fins and heavily planted for the tank mates so they can have some good hiding spots

JettsPapa
I had to click when I saw the title just to see how you accidentally buy fish. In any case, as indicated above, shrimp bioload is negligible.

Pfrozen
Plenty of cover for shrimps with a betta. it will work imo

The harlies are a bit too big for a 10g imo. They're the fish I know most about since they were my first fish. I'm rehoming mine because even though they look fantastic the truth is that they need larger numbers to really be happy and the 10 and 20 gallon tanks I have running just can't provide that for them

strongpaige24
Pfrozen said:
Plenty of cover for shrimps with a betta. it will work imo

The harlies are a bit too big for a 10g imo. They're the fish I know most about since they were my first fish. I'm rehoming mine because even though they look fantastic the truth is that they need larger numbers to really be happy and the 10 and 20 gallon tanks I have running just can't provide that for them
Yeah that was why I originally decided not to get the Rasboras but accidentally bought them

Pfrozen
strongpaige24 said:
Yeah that was why I originally decided not to get the Rasboras but accidentally bought them
Fair enough of course, they're pretty popular fish in the hobby... do you have a local swap group or a store nearby? shouldn't be hard to rehome. Alternatively you could just try them out and see.. they won't do 100% as well as they could but they can certainly be healthy in a 10g. they wont be very active though, that's the thing

strongpaige24
Pfrozen said:
Fair enough of course, they're pretty popular fish in the hobby... do you have a local swap group or a store nearby? shouldn't be hard to rehome. Alternatively you could just try them out and see.. they won't do 100% as well as they could but they can certainly be healthy in a 10g. they wont be very active though, that's the thing
I will probably try to see if it works and if they are unhappy I'll try to rehome

barbiespoodle
First.... BEAUTIFUL TANK!!!!. I absolutely love what you have done with it.

Second, WELCOME!

I'm going to speak as someone with an overstocked tank. It can be done. Like you, it was not overstocked on purpose, but I won't go into how that happened.

First thing in your favor is that you have live plants. They add a lot of beneficial aspects to the overall balance of the ecosystem you are creating.

I can not tell what kind of filtration you are using, but in my overstocked tank I've gone the biological path. My overstocked tank is a 55 gallon so I had room to add sponge filters. But I also have hob filters and in those I replace the premade cartridges with a thick sponge made for outdoor ponds, but to fit the slot, thus making them work as a sponge filter. I'm not saying this is better than the premade cartridges, I still keep those on hand just in case, just that it's working for me. And truth be known, I'm an older lady doing my hobby on a budget and this route is way cheaper and still gives great results as far as keeping the tank healthy.

Now as for shrimp. I LOVE shrimp. I love them so much that I now have 3 tanks of them and want more. And they add so little to the over all bio load that you would be surprised at how many can fit into a tank. As an example, I had a 10 gallon cull shrimp/wcmm planted tank. It was my experimental tank using cull shrimp from the other two tanks and trying my first attempt at a fish/shrimp tank. But hubby decided that he liked the tank so much that he wanted to upgrade it and I went with a 20 long to give the wcmm's more swimming room. When it came time to move the shrimp in I discovered that they had been more than prolific and I had several hundreds of them, and that is an understatement, didn't seem like that much since a lot of the time you don't see the newborns. All the time, the 10 gallon tank they were in remained healthy. In short, that is how little they add to the bio load of a planted tank.

I have absolutely no experience with Harlequin Rasboras so have no advice there. But since you already have them and the shrimp, imho, you should make them your first priority before you consider adding a betta. Don't get me wrong, I love betta's and have been trying to secretly get one past the hubby who does not like them (look honey, he followed me home. Can I keep him), lol). But everytime I get the tank I want to put one in the hubby discovers cory cat eggs and I use the tank to hatch them out. I've come to the conclusion that's a conspiracy between the hubby and the cory cats to keep me from getting a betta!

Top Bottom