Accidental Thick Lipped Gouramis, What Size Tank Will I Need?

Falena

Ok so, I've recently purchased a trio of gouramis falsely sold as "Red honey" Gouramis. They were labelled as T.Chuna too! But I started to suspect they were not as soon as I got them under correct lighting in QT, they were pretty sick too with intestinal parasites and skin/gill flukes. I seriously thought one was a goner and this quickly turned into a bit of a rescue mission.
I've medicated them with eSHa gdex and eSHa ndx and they're doing great now, and have coloured up beautifully.
After my first post and a little time I'm fairly certain I have three thick lipped gouramis. 1 male ( I thought hadn't made it but miraculously pulled through) and 2 females (In my former post)
Now, they were going into a 125 litre community but after reading they get up to 4 inches I'm not sure if this will be adequate? Or if there will be aggression issues?
They'd be with the school of 10 pygmy cories they were in quarantine with and a bristlenose pleco that is being moved from a larger community.

Thank you in advance, any advice is appreciated!

Max077

I'm not sure about aggression, but the tank size seems adequate to me.

Joshaeus

I would think a standard 20 gallon long (which is a little less than 80 litres and is about 75 cm long) would be sufficient for thick lip gouramies. Glad they are doing better they may even spawn for you if they settle in more (which is the only time aggression would be an issue).

DoubleDutch

As I expect Red Honeys to be a hybrid the seem to stay smaller than the "real" T.labiosa. I wouldn't worry.

Falena

Joshaeus said:
I would think a standard 20 gallon long (which is a little less than 80 litres and is about 75 cm long) would be sufficient for thick lip gouramies. Glad they are doing better they may even spawn for you if they settle in more (which is the only time aggression would be an issue).
That's great news! I was a little in over my head getting a species I hadn't planned on getting lol I couldn't find a great deal of info regarding tank size and numbers so I'm relieved to hear they will be able to live in the tank I have for them. I'm glad they're doing better too, they are sweethearts so far. It was horrifying getting them home and finding them covered in wiggly skin flukes. Couldn't see them at all at the lfs. I Was very upset to say the least. But thank you for the reassurance! I am looking forward to keeping these guys

DoubleDutch said:
As I expect Red Honeys to be a hybrid the seem to stay smaller than the "real" T.labiosa. I wouldn't worry.
Thank you for the reassurance! this whole mix up and ending up with sick fish has been a bit of a panic. So it's good to hear I won't have the tank issues too. Do you know if they will be ok with my pygmy cories once they're full grown? they're not interested in them so far, if anything the pygmies are more inquisitive of them and school behind them lol

DoubleDutch

Falena said:
That's great news! I was a little in over my head getting a species I hadn't planned on getting lol I couldn't find a great deal of info regarding tank size and numbers so I'm relieved to hear they will be able to live in the tank I have for them. I'm glad they're doing better too, they are sweethearts so far. It was horrifying getting them home and finding them covered in wiggly skin flukes. Couldn't see them at all at the lfs. I Was very upset to say the least. But thank you for the reassurance! I am looking forward to keeping these guys

Thank you for the reassurance! this whole mix up and ending up with sick fish has been a bit of a panic. So it's good to hear I won't have the tank issues too. Do you know if they will be ok with my pygmy cories once they're full grown? they're not interested in them so far, if anything the pygmies are more inquisitive of them and school behind them lol
I expect there won't be any issues between them.

Top Bottom