Accidental Sparkling Gourami Breeder

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Mazeus, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Earlier this week I discovered that my sparkling gourami had spawned. This was a surprise to me as I thought I had two males. I was in my LFS today and mentioned that they had spawned and I wasn't really sure what to do if any of the fry survived to become juveniles. The LFS offered to buy any that survived (as they love to sell locally bred fish) and gave me a bag full of BBS for the babies. I already have microworm and grindal worm cultures (as this is what I feed the fish). So I thought, let's give this a go!

I set up a make shift breeder box (from an old yoghurt container and some twist ties to hold it in place). I then carefully took a loseleaf tea strainer (this is a very British fish keeping experience) and caught 10 of the free swimming babies to see if I can raise them. There are still a fair few swimming around so who knows, some may survive on their own.

It's all an experiment! I plan to keep this post updated.

The babies are currently in the large yoghurt container (clear) with a well decomposed Indian almond leaf and some water lettuce. I'm also culturing some infusoria in another floating container.

Any tips and advice gladly accepted.

2. trash.binh91

trash.binh91 Valued Member Member

cool, i wanted sparkling gouramis but couldn't find any

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have another tank you can grow them out in?

4. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

I have a 5 g that is cycling. Once cycled I could transfer them, but I'm guessing it isn't sensible to transfer them to an uncycled tank. I will change their water daily in the "breeder box".

5. TexasDomer

Eh, you could just add them to an uncycled tank and do large daily water changes. Cycling can take weeks, and I'd want them out of the closed, smaller container before that (where ammonia might kill them before that).

6. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

Thanks for the advice. I do have a bottle of prime, so I could do it. I wasn't really planning on Fry so if any survive that would be a bonus.

7. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

Well, I've put most of the fry that I could catch in the 5g. It's not an ideal fry tank but it will have to do. I can see a couple of them around the tank. They are so small, like eyelashes with two pin point eyes.

8. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

Yikes, what a morning. I did a small water change and tried to lightly clean the tank (there was bladder snail poo on the stones and drift wood). I tried to be so careful, but accidently syphoned 2 babies (I was using a very small piece of plastic tubing to syphon). I poured the old tank water through a small tea strainer to ensure I didn't pour any of the fry down the drain.

After I was finished cleaning I turned the pump back on and watched a baby get sucked into the sponge (it's a fluvel spec). I had previously added a pair of tight and some styrofoam to the fitler so that the fry couldn't get sucked into the pump. I managed to fish the fry out (alive). This raising fry thing is stressful!

I question for you all. My fry tank now appears to be cycled (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate), should I still be changingwater everyday? I presumed small water changes would be beneficial for the fry?

9. TexasDomer

I would still do daily water changes, as it's hard not to overfeed fry, and you don't want to leave uneaten food in there.

10. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

Thanks so much @TexasDomer. I really appreaciate all the help. I am enjoying see the little 'un swimming around the tank.

11. TexasDomer

Congrats again on the fry!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice