Accidental Snail (s) In Empty Tank

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by beginnerbecky, Aug 6, 2019.

1. beginnerbecky

beginnerbeckyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    I have an empty 10 gallon that I was preparing for a betta. It was scaped and everything, all was well. Then a week later I notice a snail. Right now it's less than a cm, real small but definetly there. I don't mind it's pretty cute but I know theres definetly more on the way. How do I keep it alive? It won't really have food since I dont have fish food or waste in there, only maybe some dead plant pieces. I wish i could jsut have the one

2. Asomeone

AsomeoneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    4 years
    It will stay alive. I assume its a bladder snail and they are exceedingly hardy. The general rule of thumb is a lot like mice in the house, if you see one theres 50 more you dont see. Bladder snails are the normal pest snail and they reproduce rapidly and can take over tanks. They hitchhiked over on your plants. I let them reproduce in my cichlid tanks as my cichlids eat them...if you would prefer not to have an infestation id recommend cleaning them out as you see fit during normal water changes. By cleaning them out i mean either killing them or scraping them off the tank item and siphoning out. Some people keep assassin snails to keep their population under control but I prefer the manly version of crushing...call me old school.

3. OP
    OP
    beginnerbecky

beginnerbeckyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3

Awesome thanks! Might look into getting an assasin snail especially if it becomes worse, somehow even over a week i can only see the one though

4. Wolf010

Wolf010Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    Just started
    Pest Snails don't die unless you try to kill them. Kinda like cockroaches. XD

Become a Fishlore Member