Accidental Mini-Cycle Problems

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by csawyer98, Jul 20, 2015.

1. csawyer98New MemberMember

After browsing the forum for some months now I have finally decided to join and post about a problem that has come up with my tank. For years my main source of information has been a very god friend that had bred fish for many years, and up until recently that was great. However he has passed now and I am left somewhat in the dark.

About my tank:
    -29 gal Freshwater community tank
    -Began with fishless cycle
    -Added Anubias Nana, Ludwigia Peruensis, Ludwidia Repens, Madagascar Lace, Aponogeton Ulvaceus, Dwarf Hairgrass, Pygmy Chain Swords, Ozelot Sword, and a Crested Java Fern.
    -After cycle completion, I added a trio of juvenile Platy.
    -A week later I added another trio of adult Platy.
    -The next week I added my small Rubber-Lip Pleco, three Cory Cats, and two Kuhlii Loaches.
    -Next I happened to stumble across my three Neon Stiphodon Gobies.
    -And finally, I was able to add my three young angels.

(Yes I know that many fish will eventually outgrow the tank, but for the time being as they are all fairly small they should be alright. I plan on upgrading my tank sometime anyway.)

Everything was doing great, that was until my filter ancient HOB went out. Overnight they filter went out and the water siphoned out of it and left all of the beneficial filter bacteria high and dry. I immediately rushed out to my local PetSmart, coupon in hand, to grab a new AquaClear filter. I also picked up a bottle of API StressZyme+ and SeaChem Stability to help with my lost biofilter. Since then, my ammonia has stayed around 0.25 ppm and nitrates have fairly steady between 10-20 ppm, and the pH has been a steady 7.2 from the get go. However my nitrites have been all over the board anywhere from 0.25 ppm all the way up to 2 ppm. I am using my API Master Kit and I have really been getting my butt kicked by this tank lately. I have been keeping up with 25% water changes using Prime every other day in an attempt to keep my nitrites down while splitting the water source, I use a 2:1 ratio of distilled:tap water as that is the ratio that I used when I originally set up my tank. And I really want to get this sorted out, but I am really at a loss here as far as what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Although your fish may be small as you claim, your tank is way overstocked. That's why your cycle has not been able to stabilize itself. There isn't anymore room for the bacteria to grow to keep up with the bioload. I would suggest you rehome the angelfish and one of the fish that need to be in schools, such as the loaches or gobies.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    c

csawyer98New MemberMember

I can always move my angels, or any of my fish to another tank. I have several ranging from 10 gal all the way up to 40 gallons. After I go to move some of the fish, do you think my existing regimen would be sufficient?

Thanks a lot!

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well your cories and loaches would need to be in schools of 6+ so I'd just return one or the other since they occupy the same space in a tank and go from there. I think the gobies are schooling fish too, but I'm not sure.

5. OP
    OP
    c

Maybe I could move my cories over to my 40 gal breeder with my second school. 5 of the original 6 remain. Some demon tetras took the fins off of one of them. And give my Kuhliis to a friend that has a group of them.
    I'm also tempted to rehome my pleco, he doesn't do much as far as controlling algae, the gobies do a better job at that, expecially with the possibility of him having a rather large bio-load in the future.

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea that's probably a better idea. The only plecos I would put in that tank size that are reliable at eating algae are the BN and clown plecos, BN does a better job.

7. OP
    OP
    c

Thanks, I'll get on that when I get home this afternoon.

8. OP
    OP
    c

So far I have found a home for all 6 Platy and the two Kuhlii. And luckily, they are going to stay together and join a beautiful school of each in a 75g. I'll be heading to Petco in the middle of this week and I'll see if they are willing to accept my pleco and put him up for sale as an adoption fish. If not I know of a couple of LFS that would probably take him. One of which is in the middle of a huge remodel that will have 100+ freshwater tanks.

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Cool good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice