Accidental Live Black Worm Colony

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Charlaboo, Apr 15, 2018.

1. C

Charlaboo Valued Member Member

so this isn't really a question more of just a funny story that only fish lovers can relate to.. when I try to tell my family they don't understand why I'm so excited and look a little grossed out. I had this one pea puffer who just wouldn't eat. I bought him in a group of 4 and everyone else did fine with frozen blood worms but he refused .. where I live you simply can't buy live food .. finally I found some on kijiji but they only had microworms - but through a friends of their they got me live black worms and after 7 days (and who knows how long before) the poor guy finally ate.. flash forward a few months and he is eating frozen blood worms but I bought another group.. but now my connection dried up!! I ended up finding grindal worms inmates, after nearly a week of mad searching ..then I went to clean one of my other tanks out with gravel vac.. only this time I scraped up the bottom of the bucket because there was a chance there might be fry in there .. and there were black worms!!! Not tonnes, but over a dozen for each bucket I vacuumed, and this was weeks and weeks since the last time I put any in! All this searching for worms and worrying over this poor puffer and I had live black worms literally two feet away haha .. so if you've fed any of your tanks black worms in the last few minths, double check your gravel.. you might have a whole colony living right under your nose

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  2. T

Tesla Valued Member Member

Lol, i can attest to the same in my tank - I used to feed live black worms to my community 75g tank fishes. I stopped after 4-5 times as keeping live worms in the fridge was freaking my family out :D
    Now every time i deep vacuum the gravel i see 2-3 worms show up! I just let them drop back into the tank for fishes treat which my gouramis and boesemani love.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice