Accidental feeder guppy

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by jinnix, Aug 3, 2015.

1. jinnixNew MemberMember

My boyfriend and I went out and bought long finned danios and we had a tiny feeder guppy tag-a-long in the bag. The fish store said to just toss him down the drain but I can't imagine doing that so we're going to try to keep him. Does anyone have experience with feeder guppies? He's in a 20g with six zebra and leopard danios. They've been bumping him around but it doesn't look like they're trying to eat him. We are planning on adding neon tetras and MM platys in the coming weeks. He seems to be doing fine I was just wondering if anyone had any tips. Thanks :)

2. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

I keep feeder guppies, they are basically guppy endler hybrids. Same care as guppies, but they don't get as big. It really isn't that hard to keep them, I would just watch the danios bumping him around. I couldn't imagine dumping a fish down the drain either, good for you trying to save him:) He should be fine with the other fish, but the MM might need a little bit cooler water.

:;balloonsWelcome to Fishlore!:;balloons

3. jinnixNew MemberMember

I was shocked when he mentioned throwing it down the drain. It looks like he's fast enough to escape when the danios get too pushy, and we've added a couple of hiding places for him. Do you think we should get him some guppy friends? We weren't planning on adding guppies but if he's happier with his own species we can rearrange our plans. Thank you so much for the welcome and the help!

4. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

you could either get a couple more "feeder guppies" or if you are sure its a male, then add one or two more male guppies. they will be more colorful, but he would appreciate some friends.

5. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

I couldn't imagine throwing a fish down the drain:(
    I'm not sure about the guppies. I saw your other thread and it looks like he is actually a she. What's your planned stock? I think she'll be fine alone, but if you feel the need to get more, I would get 2 more females.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. jinnixNew MemberMember

Eventually the plan was to add 10 neon tetras and about 5 mickey mouse platys. Boyfriend also wants a tiny crawfish but we'll see about that haha. I ask about friends because guppy isn't swimming with the danios (understandably) and I wondered if he'd (she'd?) be safer in a group as well as less lonely. I would probably just go back to the fish store and ask for a few more feeder guppies

7. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

All live bearer fry look female when they're small, it takes a few months before the males start developing usually. Good luck with your stowaway! I'm glad you decided to keep her. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

I know Bijou88, I guess I neglected to ask how large this guppy is. Until you know the gender, I would wait on the other guppies. Also, I wouldn't do the crayfish, they can be vicious little buggers. A mexican dwarf orange crayfish might be an option though.

9. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

There was a picture in the op's other thread Flowingfins. I also vote against most crayfish, I've heard they can kill you fish :/

10. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

I couldn't really tell his/her size from that picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Hmmm, I thought it looked fry-ish still myself, could very well be wrong though :)

12. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

I guess we'll have to wait until jinnix comes back on to tell us.

13. jinnixNew MemberMember

The guppy is very very small, only about half an inch long and maybe a centimeter tall. I assumed it was a baby but I'm a beginner and I haven't looked into guppies so I might be wrong. Guppy seems to be doing very well. It's figured out to let the bigger fish fight for food at the top and catch the droppings down on the bottom. It's not hiding or anything but swimming around with the danios. Boyfriend has taken to calling it Napoleon because of how tiny it is haha

14. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

Napoleon sounds like a fry. I guess we will have to wait and see what gender it is.

15. jinnixNew MemberMember

I'll try haha. Any clues I should look for or long I should wait before trying to tell?

16. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

female guppies will have more of a triangular analfin, males will have more of a straight analfin. I'll try to find some pictures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice